Tube behind cargo area plastics? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tube behind cargo area plastics?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Tube behind cargo area plastics?

Long black tube, looks like it runs up to the ceiling somewhere. Located inside the body in the back corners of the cargo area, one on each side.
What is it for? Are there roof rack drains?

JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Could be washer fluid I do know it runs back there from the reservoir in the front but I do not know of it goes down both sides. I know the wiring is sometimes wrapped up in a tube like material especially on the a and d pillars.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
Could be washer fluid I do know it runs back there from the reservoir in the front but I do not know of it goes down both sides. I know the wiring is sometimes wrapped up in a tube like material especially on the a and d pillars.
It's a bit thick to be washer fluid tubing, and all the wiring is running via separate routes. Thanks, though. I'll get pictures in the morning, it's no rush really, just a curiosity.
Oh and I should mention they're open on the bottom ends, just can't see where the top goes.
Unread 09-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

There aren't roof rack drains but do you happen to have a sunroof since it could be drain hoses for the sunroof channels.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
NinetySevenZJay
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
There aren't roof rack drains but do you happen to have a sunroof since it could be drain hoses for the sunroof channels.
this^
NinetySevenZJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Nope, no sunroof. Should have mentioned that too.
Unread 09-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Oh wait theres vents behind the rear window could be leading to the vents.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 06:39 AM   #8
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I had wondered the exact same thing but couldn't find them on the parts list. That doesn't say ducts to these vents aren't there but have never had the inside plastic corner molding off of my 96.

Unread 09-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #9
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

I've actually got my vents off right now, I'll pull that little rubber plug under them and see if the tube goes up there.
Unread 09-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #10
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
Oh wait theres vents behind the rear window could be leading to the vents.
This was it exactly. When you pull off the outer vents there are small black louvered vents. Pull those off, and inside that is a drain leading to that tube.

Thanks guys!
Unread 09-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #11
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNicholson View Post
This was it exactly. When you pull off the outer vents there are small black louvered vents. Pull those off, and inside that is a drain leading to that tube.

Thanks guys!
So how the heck do you get the outer vents off? I end up with all kinds of tree seeds with wings (maple, ash, etc.) stuck under there and they're really hard to get out of the bottom with a fine wire. Thanks!

Unread 09-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #12
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:

So how the heck do you get the outer vents off? I end up with all kinds of tree seeds with wings (maple, ash, etc.) stuck under there and they're really hard to get out of the bottom with a fine wire. Thanks!
There are 3 tabs (i wouldn't really call them clips) near the hatch side that must be pried out(top, center,and bottom), the window side just tucks under the window. You can feel where the tabs are by lifting the tailgate and sliding a thin screwdriver under the back edge of the vent piece. Or with a bent coat hanger. Then I just pried them out *carefully*. There was a ton of stuff in there like you were talking about!
I also resealed the small black vent in there with rtv before I reassembled.
Unread 09-15-2013, 12:12 AM   #13
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
There are 3 tabs (i wouldn't really call them clips) near the hatch side that must be pried out(top, center,and bottom), the window side just tucks under the window. You can feel where the tabs are by lifting the tailgate and sliding a thin screwdriver under the back edge of the vent piece. Or with a bent coat hanger. Then I just pried them out *carefully*. There was a ton of stuff in there like you were talking about!
I also resealed the small black vent in there with rtv before I reassembled.
Thanks for the info and maybe after the trees stop dropping crap during the fall I'll remove them to clean them out. Probably no sense in doing it right now because the tree stuff is falling here big time!

Unread 09-15-2013, 05:15 AM   #14
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:

Thanks for the info and maybe after the trees stop dropping crap during the fall I'll remove them to clean them out. Probably no sense in doing it right now because the tree stuff is falling here big time!
Buckeye season!
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Buckeye season!
Lol, my friend, for sure!

And speaking of other nuts I have 3 huge black walnut trees around my yard/house. I have to change the parking of my 3 Jeeps around for months because I already have a few nice dents in the hood of my ZJ from those heavy/cursed walnuts falling. Even blew one through my back house window a couple years ago while mowing. Then when the leaves fall from these walnut trees next to come are the foot long leaf stems which cover everything and makes it about impossible to blow leaves while hard to rake.

The 80' white ash tree right over the house doesn't help either. The zillion winged whirlybird seeds and 6" leaf stems clog the cutters while sticking in every nook and cranny on my Jeeps. I love trees but some of the stuff you have to put up with makes me wonder...

While this may seem off topic it's not because those small seeds and stems tend to find there way under the rear vent covers while real hard to get out of the bottom crack. Now I know how to remove the covers.

BTW, for those who may also be around trees or dirt conditions you best be cleaning out the channel in the body above the liftgate and behind the weather stripping on the sides constantly if you don't want it to rust out. Not the best design for draining water right on top of the rear taillight housings. Especially where the wire harness for the liftgate is in the channel on the driver's side which is like a little dam with less than 1/4" for the water to pass by.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.