Ttransmission? growl - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ttransmission? growl

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 12-22-2003, 06:37 PM   #1
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Ttransmission? growl

I am having a problem with a transmission noise when shifting between P-R-N.

Everythings quiet in Park, Shift into Reverse and the growling starts, Shift into Neutral and it quiets some but is still there.

I only notice it when the jeep hasn't moved several hours. It could be warmed up for 20 minutes, but if it hasn't moved, it will make this noise.

I think it is in the Tranny- hard to tell from inside.

Anyone have any thoughts???

2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2003, 06:55 PM   #2
det69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Xtreme

Everythings quiet in Park, Shift into Reverse and the growling starts, Shift into Neutral and it quiets some but is still there.

I only notice it when the jeep hasn't moved several hours. It could be warmed up for 20 minutes, but if it hasn't moved, it will make this noise.

I owned 2 full size Rams and both suffered from what you describe. All was fine providing the engine/tranny was warm but when cold you could hear the noise. The noise was also more pronounced when the outside temp dropped and seemed worse in reverse than in neutral. I just recently purchased my Grand Cherokee and upon reading the manual I noticed it uses the 42RE tranny....the same one my trucks used. A friend had the same problem in his truck and after about 50K or so he had to have the tranny rebuilt (covered by warranty). I sold/traded my vehicles before it got really bad so I really can't tell you what the exact problem was. I know this don't really help but check and see what model tranny you have and if it is the 42RE you can probably do a search and find info on the problem in a Ram truck forum.
det69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2003, 04:15 PM   #3
RockPaws

My first thought is to check the transmission fluid level. After its warmed up with at least 20 min of driving. With the parking brake set and wheels chocked. Place in "neutral" and check fluid. it should be at the top of the hatched area or full. I have found simular problems due to low fluid level. I would normally find them 1qt or more low. Most of them checked the fluid in park position. In park position no fluid flows thru the valve body. In Neutral fluid flows thru the valve body and oil cooler.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.
[URL=http://www.redrock4x4.com][COLOR=Blue]www.redrock4x4.com Rocks![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=www.needhim.org/][COLOR=Blue]Need Him?[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
RockPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2003, 07:01 PM   #4
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Thanks. I'll check it tomorrow and let you know what I find.

I had checked it recently, but as you said- in park
Unread 12-23-2003, 10:49 PM   #5
baseball_coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Xtreme

You might want to go this website and see if this discribes your problem. http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2000/21-01-00.htm
baseball_coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2003, 09:07 AM   #6
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Well I checked the fluid- Tranny warmed, in neutral- and all is well.

Fluid level is dead center between the two "Hot" holes.

Any other thoughts??
Unread 01-01-2004, 05:17 PM   #7
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.