trying to pinpoint water leak in the cab - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > trying to pinpoint water leak in the cab

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #16
Pierre_r
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Yes i used rtv.
Scrape of the old seal before you reseal it, the old is hard as a rock anyway so it comes of easy.

Pierre_r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #17
JBrady5555
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre_r View Post
Yes i used rtv.
Scrape of the old seal before you reseal it, the old is hard as a rock anyway so it comes of easy.

Yeah mine is hard and dry rotted too, i already broke most of it off and guess what.....its fixin to friggin rain, lol. 30 inches in the last month here in Panama City. Oh well the cab already has probably 2" of water under the carpet.

Do I need to do the passenger side too, its just as bad? Also I ran a 4' coat hanger rod in the hole I drilled in that black box and it didn't seem to hit anything, did I do it wrong? black box had a steady stream of water coming out of the bottom of it where it meets the firewall when the a/c is on, now its coming out of the hole I drilled. thanks for anymore info pierre, you have been a big help.
JBrady5555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #18
Pierre_r
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I would do the other side to if its just as bad its just 2 more minutes of work.

On the ac drain i dont think you did anything wrong, the coathanger is used to clean out debris if there are any.
I have lucked out on mine and never had to that to my ac drain.

Water coming out of the hole you drilled is a good thing, put a plug in that hole and you can drain it whenever you need to in the future.
Unread 08-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #19
JBrady5555
1997 ZJ 

Quote:

Water coming out of the hole you drilled is a good thing, put a plug in that hole and you can drain it whenever you need to in the future.

Yeah but I don't think I've fixed the problem yet since water was pour out from underneath the box. Something is definitely wrong there.
Unread 08-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #20
Pierre_r
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, i found this thread, its about another leak that can soak the carpet.
Dont know if you already have looked at it or not:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/a...doubt-1387426/
Unread 08-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #21
JBrady5555
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Ok, i found this thread, its about another leak that can soak the carpet.
Dont know if you already have looked at it or not:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/a...doubt-1387426/
I found this and it would stop my leak but I'm not sure that its really fixing the real problem. Would you object to me doing this fix?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4010925...7623551960616/

Where he sealed around where the box meets the firewall is where mine is leaking.
Unread 08-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #22
Pierre_r
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I think someone on here did that to his ( i was trying to find his thread but didnt)
If it was my jeep and it leaked there i would do it.
Unread 08-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #23
flgurdsman
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrady5555
Well folks I've just about got my new to me 1997 ZJ squared away after fixing my leaky freeze plugs and desludging my 4.0. Now I'm on to the musty moldy leaking cab. Every day when I open the truck it stinks horribly with a musty odor. I went to a job a few weeks ago and when I got home the steering wheel, seats and shifter were all covered in mold from the moisture. Its also being inhabited by frogs, lol, every day I keep evicting them.

I wanted to try to find out on the forum here about all the problem leak areas on my ZJ Laredo. I did a little research and it seems that the roof rack is a prime suspect for leaks but I never have a wet head liner. My front floor boards get the wettest and the rear floor boads seem to get a little moist but not much. All the seats seem pretty dry to, maybe a little moist feeling in the front. Any ideas on where my problem area might be? Thanks
Pull the cowl off and look to see if the cowl drains are clogged. I just had to do this on my 97. I had leaves and pine needles clogging the drain on the drivers side and under the windshield wiper motor. Remove the wiper motor assemble and spray all the crap out and the drains as well. I also pulled the wheel well liner out and had to remove a crap load of crud from both sides from inside the fender closest to the door. It's designed to drain rain water from the windshield into the cowl and down the inside of the fender and out the bottom. If it is clogged the water backs up and will over flow into the exterior air duct into the vents. The A/C drain is not large enough to drain a large amount of water fast enough and it then ends up on the floor board. Hope this helps.
flgurdsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #24
LoveHate
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrady5555 View Post
I found this and it would stop my leak but I'm not sure that its really fixing the real problem. Would you object to me doing this fix?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4010925...7623551960616/

Where he sealed around where the box meets the firewall is where mine is leaking.
yes this I had to do to mine also. it worked good but I used red rtv as that 1min gasket sucks.
Built Not Bought #693
LoveHate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #25
SDHarleydad
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Passenger side, try this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...-drain-501895/

Driverside, your cowlseal are probably bad and needs to be resealed.
Heres is mine after i had scraped of most of the old seal.

and here is it after i had resealed it:

very easy to fix when you open the hood.
Mine leaked through the roofrack bolts to, i removed them and put RTV in the holes and then put them back in.
Thank you... this totally explained the wetness when I would take it to a pressure wash. It doesn't rain much here
Unread 08-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #26
JBrady5555
1997 ZJ 

Well I rtved the drivers and passengers side cowl seal and I also did the circular part of the ac drain black box. I ran the coat hanger back in my drilled hole one more time, when I run it in and out I hear slot of water splashing around so something still isn't right. That thing is clogged somewhere still. I've been thinking of drilling a 1/4" hole the the floorboards to help with drying this thing out, my carpet is basically floating on the drivers side. Objections?
Unread 08-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #27
LoveHate
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrady5555 View Post
Well I rtved the drivers and passengers side cowl seal and I also did the circular part of the ac drain black box. I ran the coat hanger back in my drilled hole one more time, when I run it in and out I hear slot of water splashing around so something still isn't right. That thing is clogged somewhere still. I've been thinking of drilling a 1/4" hole the the floorboards to help with drying this thing out, my carpet is basically floating on the drivers side. Objections?
I started to drill a hole to let it drain and my drill went threw the floor.. check for rust and if you drill make sure to paint the hole so it doesn't rust.
Built Not Bought #693
LoveHate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.