Trying to fit mud tires on my Grand.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Trying to fit mud tires on my Grand..

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
i6zombiejeep
1998 ZJ 

Trying to fit mud tires on my Grand..

Well, I found some cool looking rims for my 98 Jeep. They are 15x10s, and I would like to run 31s. A 31/12.5 tire would be okay for this wide of rim, right? I keep seeing posts that you need at least 33s, but I can't fit those.. lol what is the metric equivalent for this size? Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks,
Jeff

i6zombiejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Find some 8"-8.5" rims. 10" is too wide.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
i6zombiejeep
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the quick reply, and yeah, that's what I keep seeing is to just get different rims. But I like the offset so that they'll stick out and give the Jeep a little stance. They are really wide, but I want to take advantage of them because I am building on a college student budget...
Unread 11-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

If you run a 12.5" wide tire on a 10" wide rim, don't bother airing down since you'll just pop a bead. You'll probably rub control arms as well depending on the backspacing on the rims.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

The tire maybe 12.5 at the tread but it gets skinnier at the bead. 10" is too wide. Get an 8" rim with 3.75-4" of B.S.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
slprwgn

i am running 12 inch wide wheels with 3.5 backspacing... now im not a street rig but i have no issues out of them, no rubbing, and i run a 15 inch wide tire on them.... as for 12.5 too wide for 10 inch wide rim, no way... it will run just fine on that wheel, i have plenty of friends running that 12 and 13 inch wide on 10 inch wheels...

i agree on the mean stance look, i think it will look awesome
slprwgn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprwgn View Post
as for 12.5 too wide for 10 inch wide rim, no way... it will run just fine on that wheel, i have plenty of friends running that 12 and 13 inch wide on 10 inch wheels...

It's not an opinion, it's a fact that a 12.50" wide tire on an 8" rim will hold a bead better, perform off road better when aired down(not spinning on the rim), and the tire will wear better than on a 10" rim.

What looks better is debatable.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...rim-width.html
Unread 11-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
i6zombiejeep
1998 ZJ 

Well shoot. I'll begin my search for some narrower rims.. Thank you guys for the replies, and it makes sense. I was worried that the bead would have a hard time holding. This Jeep is going to see a lot of snow, and therefore a lot of airing down. I realllllyyyyy want some of those AEV wheels. They look sweet!
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprwgn View Post
i am running 12 inch wide wheels with 3.5 backspacing... now im not a street rig but i have no issues out of them, no rubbing, and i run a 15 inch wide tire on them.... as for 12.5 too wide for 10 inch wide rim, no way... it will run just fine on that wheel, i have plenty of friends running that 12 and 13 inch wide on 10 inch wheels...

Are they airing down? Using beadlocks? Or wheeling at 30+psi?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 12:32 AM   #10
i6zombiejeep
1998 ZJ 

Beadlocks are no good for highway use, correct? How exactly do beadlock rims work?
Unread 11-12-2013, 02:27 AM   #11
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Internal beadlocks like the hummer h1 rim are legal for highway use, external beadlocks like most offroad wheels are not. They will perform fine on the highway but the failure mode of the rim involves the tire trying to pass the jeep, which is unadvisable.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #12
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Internal beadlocks like the hummer h1 rim are legal for highway use, external beadlocks like most offroad wheels are not. They will perform fine on the highway but the failure mode of the rim involves the tire trying to pass the jeep, which is unadvisable.
What law the bans the use of beadlock wheels on highways? (Not inspection rules and no "DOT Certified" stuff)

Failure of a non-beadlock wheel will produce the same effect.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #13
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

They would not pass inspection in this god forsaken state for sure.

http://www.liftlaws.com/are_beadlocks_street_legal.htm

Tags
15x10 , rim size , tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.