Troubled alignment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Troubled alignment

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Troubled alignment

I noticed after I got my alignment last month that I had a bit more of a clunk than before. Actually, before, the Jeep was silent except for the swaybar bushings. When I got the alignment, the drag link started hitting the tie rod where they connect. Basically, my question is, how "off" do you think my alignment would be if I loosened the long end of my tie rod and rotated it a couple degrees to stop the drag link from hitting it? Should I do it or should I make the shop do it?

1997 ZJ TSi - 5.2L, 242, ~4" of IRO lift, IRO short arms & adj. TBs, JKS Discos & BPEs, DT3000s, Aussie out back, sliders, OEM skids/hooks/hitch, 31" Duratracs, 15x8 Stealth Crawlers, Niner grille, e-fan, Magnaflow stuff, HO alt, "mean eyes", tinted signals & tails, clear corners, sound system, cloth seats
1994 Caprice - "SQL Lab", HO charging system, SS suspension, show car in progress, some tasteful show mods...
2014 Silverado 1500 - DD on order
2010 Terrain - wife's DD, bone stock
2010 Gary Fisher Utopia - Black Ops platform pedals, SRAM X.9 shifters, BB7 calipers/G3 CS discs, NightRider Rebel 3.0 computer

Build Thread
Black Jeep Society
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Anyone? I'm thinking about arguing with the shop then fixing it myself if they don't.
1997 ZJ TSi - 5.2L, 242, ~4" of IRO lift, IRO short arms & adj. TBs, JKS Discos & BPEs, DT3000s, Aussie out back, sliders, OEM skids/hooks/hitch, 31" Duratracs, 15x8 Stealth Crawlers, Niner grille, e-fan, Magnaflow stuff, HO alt, "mean eyes", tinted signals & tails, clear corners, sound system, cloth seats
1994 Caprice - "SQL Lab", HO charging system, SS suspension, show car in progress, some tasteful show mods...
2010 Gary Fisher Utopia - Black Ops platform pedals, SRAM X.9 shifters, BB7 calipers/G3 CS discs, NightRider Rebel 3.0 computer

Build Thread
Black Jeep Society
Unread 02-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I would just take it back. If you mess with it you will void any kind of recourse you may have with their warranty.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

They warranty it for a year which is why I was thinking about trying them first. Hopefully they don't notice the 3/4" spacers I've installed since the alignment. I did reset the preload on all the front control arm bushings after I did this, but I had my buddy carefully hold the cam bolts in place while I torqued the lowers on the axle side to not mess up what they did.

Build Thread
Black Jeep Society
Unread 02-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
azgrandjeeper
1998 ZJ 

the shop should fix it. if it wasnt doing that before than they must fix it.
azgrandjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see if I can get it in sometime this week.

Build Thread
Black Jeep Society
Unread 02-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

They were able to get it in today. They're going to look at it as soon as the alignment rack clears up. I'm going to go back there and show them how the draglink is hitting the trackbar and what I mean by "hitting" since he's looking at me like I'm stupid.

Build Thread
Black Jeep Society
Unread 02-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Well, it turns out my clunk is from my TRE that connects the draglink to the pitman arm and from inside the steering box itself. The whole pitman wiggles as well as the shaft that comes out of the box. I guess it's a good thing I got one with a lifetime warranty on it... This will be the second time I've had to change the box since I've had the ZJ. I'm pretty sure I broke the factory one by whacking it pretty hard while I was wheeling before I had my skids. This one was just re-manufactured for crap.

Build Thread
Black Jeep Society

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.