trouble starting in cold - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > trouble starting in cold

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 11-14-2005, 02:21 PM   #1
R3M3DYZ

trouble starting in cold

i have a 93 jeep cherokee with a 95 engine

car starts hard when the engine is cold it takes about 20 sec to start then when the check engine light comes on it starts. Everytime no prblems running or driving

however when the engine has been running for awile the engine will turnover either instantly or within 4 seconds.

fuel pump was replaced injectors were cleaned and new fuel pump.

what could be the problem

i was told a cold start sensor could be bad? if there is such a thing?

R3M3DYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2005, 02:22 PM   #2
R3M3DYZ

its a grand cherokee laredo
Unread 11-14-2005, 02:34 PM   #3
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

Try the coolant temp sensor (If its a 4.0 its at the very front of the engine on the thermostat housing) I think its pretty much what some people call a cold start sensor..

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2005, 02:32 PM   #4
R3M3DYZ

is it eas to install and is it a pricy part?
Unread 11-15-2005, 03:49 PM   #5
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

No its not hard to replace. Unplug the connector, unscrew it. Put some teflon tape on the threads of the new one and do the reverse..

Its like $14 at autozone..

Theres actually two coolant temp sensors one at the back of the cylinder head and one at the front (The one that the computer uses is at the front, the back one is for the inside gauge)

Not saying its your problem but it is included in the array of startup sensors

I actually have a warm start problem, still unresolved

I found this info somewhere else..

----------------------------------------------------

Ignition Switch On:

This is an OPEN LOOP mode. When the SFI system is ACTIVATED by the ignition switch, the following actions occur:

* The PCM prepositions the idle air control (IAC) motor.
* The PCM reads atmospheric air pressure from the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor and calculates the basic fuel strategy.
* The PCM monitors the throttle position sensor (TPS) and engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor input. The PCM uses these inputs to modify fuel strategy.
* Intake air temperature (IAT) sensor is monitored.
* ASD relay is energized for 3 seconds.
* Fuel pump is energized for 1 second, unless engine is running or cranking.
* Oxygen sensor heating element is energized.

Engine Start-Up:

This is an OPEN LOOP mode. When the starter motor is engaged, the PCM receives input from:

* Battery voltage
* Crankshaft position (CKP) sensor
* Engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor
* Intake air temperature (IAT) sensor
* Throttle position sensor (TPS)
* Camshaft position (CMP) sensor
* Starter relay

Based on these inputs the PCM will:

* Monitor crankshaft position sensor. If no signal is received within 3 seconds, the PCM will shut down the fuel injection system.
* Supply the injectors with a ground path, firing all injectors until the PCM determines crankshaft position.
* Determine proper ignition timing.

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.