Trim lvl differences in axle/driveshaft cv/u joint - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Trim lvl differences in axle/driveshaft cv/u joint

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-04-2013, 01:04 AM   #1
Jeep318
1996 ZJ 

Trim lvl differences in axle/driveshaft cv/u joint

Does any body have any idea why some zj have cv style axles/driveshafts (like mine) and others have full u joints? Is it a trim level variance? I was wondering because my buddy has a 96 laredo just like mine but he has full u joints instead. Why would my particular 96 laredo have cv and his 96 laredo have u joints? I wa thinking maybe trim level variance because he has a sunroof and I don't and we both have NP249 transfer cases. Any ideas?

Jeep318 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 02:16 AM   #2
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

First, most of what your looking for is in the FAQ section. But part of the reason you find different axles is that people replaced them. My ZJ came with u-joints. I had a tough time trying to replace one of the u-joints (I don't have the tool or a press). So I just got a new CV joint axle. I may end up doing the same to the other side as that u-joint is starting to make some noise. The opposite is also true. Some with CV joints replaced them with u-joints because some people think they're better. The only way to know what you were supposed to have is with a build sheet.
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
BoostinChick
1998 ZJ 

Pretty sure this has been covered a few times, but to answer you -

If you have fulltime AWD you will have CVs. if you have the 242/231 you will most likely have ujoints. But as Pugulis mentioned, build sheet would be the most accurate way to know since most folks swap.
Unread 02-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
Jeep318
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostinChick View Post
Pretty sure this has been covered a few times, but to answer you -

If you have fulltime AWD you will have CVs. if you have the 242/231 you will most likely have ujoints. But as Pugulis mentioned, build sheet would be the most accurate way to know since most folks swap.
I searched. Not much came up. But no you didn't answer my question either. Lol. My post stated that we both have full time transfer cases, same 96 laredo. Only difference is he had a u joint axles and u joint driveshaft I have cv's................ Other than someone randomly swapping every axle AND driveshaft why would it come from the factory like that?
Unread 02-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Jeep318
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugulis View Post
First, most of what your looking for is in the FAQ section. But part of the reason you find different axles is that people replaced them. My ZJ came with u-joints. I had a tough time trying to replace one of the u-joints (I don't have the tool or a press). So I just got a new CV joint axle. I may end up doing the same to the other side as that u-joint is starting to make some noise. The opposite is also true. Some with CV joints replaced them with u-joints because some people think they're better. The only way to know what you were supposed to have is with a build sheet.
Searched the FAQ nothing was there about my question
Unread 02-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

Sorry about that, I thought there was info there. But, the reason for either cv or ujoint is not random. All 249's came from the factory with CV joints. Now, where it becomes confusing is that, I believe, at some point they completely stopped using u-joints. This is why there are many people that don't even think ZJ's came with them. And they talk about swapping in u-joints from an XJ. I think this happened in mid 96. Even, if this isn't true. While being assembled, if they run out of u-joints, they're not about to stop production when most vehicles are getting CV joints.
Unread 02-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
BoostinChick
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep318 View Post
I searched. Not much came up. But no you didn't answer my question either. Lol. My post stated that we both have full time transfer cases, same 96 laredo. Only difference is he had a u joint axles and u joint driveshaft I have cv's................ Other than someone randomly swapping every axle AND driveshaft why would it come from the factory like that?
Did you both pull your build sheets to confirm that what is on the Jeep is original? And what I was saying (and Pugulis) is that someone could have swapped from CV's to U-joints. Pugulis has done the opposite. You don't need to swap drive shafts to swap the axles? Unless you are talking about something different.
Unread 02-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

the 249 always got cv axle from the factory. with u-joint shafts you get a really annoying feedback in the steering at higher turning angles. the 242 usually got u-joint axles.

drive shafts were usually v8 vs i6, but also they tended to use whatever they had laying around.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.