tried out my new spare key and the jeep dies - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > tried out my new spare key and the jeep dies

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-29-2009, 08:15 AM   #16
Redrum_1
2000 WJ 

Some of your better hardware stores have transponder blanks and can fix you up for about $30. I didn't know this till after ordering one from ebay. When I went in to get it cut he told me they had them and can also program them just like a dealer can.

Good Luck...

2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab. 5.7L Hemi 6 speed automatic 3:55 gears LSD with 20 inch rubber
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L
2003 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast Model 6 speed manual
2002 Audi A6 Avant Quattro 3.0L Auto
Redrum_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #17
mrtosh
2005 WK 

^^^^interesting. Anybody try said hardware store version? Are we talking like Home Depot?
'05 WK Limited QDII, Superlift 6", Bilstein struts,315/70/17 Duratracs, Gibson CB, Volant CAI, JBA UCA's, JKS quick disco, adj. Rear trac bar, 4xguard armor, Diablosport Intune, Xenondepot 6000k HID's, Putco Jet yellow fogs.
mrtosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 10:28 AM   #18
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum_1 View Post
Some of your better hardware stores have transponder blanks and can fix you up for about $30. I didn't know this till after ordering one from ebay. When I went in to get it cut he told me they had them and can also program them just like a dealer can.

Good Luck...
I highly doubt they can program them unless you already have two working keys in which case you can do that yourself. Programming a key without two working keys requires a DRBIII scan tool.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 11:19 AM   #19
Redrum_1
2000 WJ 

You never know till you try. My hardware here is an Ace Hardware. They been in business for 70 years and try to keep up to date on things. I know they have the correct transponder blanks for my 2000 WJ and he looked in his book and said he could program them also.

Good Luck...
2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab. 5.7L Hemi 6 speed automatic 3:55 gears LSD with 20 inch rubber
Unread 09-29-2009, 11:34 AM   #20
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum_1 View Post
You never know till you try. My hardware here is an Ace Hardware. They been in business for 70 years and try to keep up to date on things. I know they have the correct transponder blanks for my 2000 WJ and he looked in his book and said he could program them also.

Good Luck...
The keys are hard programmed meaning you cannot change them. Each key has a unique RFID signal it transmits. To program it to work with your jeep, nothing is actually done to the key itself. It is all done via the module in the jeep. Using the DRBIII tool, the dealer tells the jeep to be ready for new programming at which time they insert the new key and the module accepts the new RFID signal from the key and remembers it for future use. So no, the hardware store cannot program them.

It is like pairing a bluetooth headset to your cell phone. You have to tell your cell phone to accept a new device. If anyone could program their headset to any phone, there would be a lot of eavesdropping going on. You have to tell the main device when to accept a signal from the secondary device. In this case, the jeep is the primary device accepting a new signal from the secondary device (the key)

But, by all means, if you want to take your key into ACE hardware to see if they can program it, be my guest.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
Unread 09-29-2009, 12:36 PM   #21
Redrum_1
2000 WJ 

Everything you wanted to know about WJ Jeep keys but were afraid to ask!

Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Sentry key programming

Good Luck...
Unread 09-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #22
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Thats too funny. Getting a SKIS key programmed at Ace Hardaware? Thats like bringing your Fedex package to the Wendys drive thru.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #23
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraTokn View Post
Thats too funny. Getting a SKIS key programmed at Ace Hardaware? Thats like bringing your Fedex package to the Wendys drive thru.

Whos the funny guy now?

Build Thread

KCCO
Unread 11-05-2009, 08:12 AM   #24
marioct
2007 WK 

Now that is thinking! glad we have smart people on here. I was thinking of a way around this system for a remote start.
Does this system(sentury), actually stop a theft if some idiot decides to bash my steering column in?
marioct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 09:04 AM   #25
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioct View Post
Now that is thinking! glad we have smart people on here. I was thinking of a way around this system for a remote start.
Does this system(sentury), actually stop a theft if some idiot decides to bash my steering column in?
Well, that idiot can still steel all your ****, but hes not going anywhere with the jeep itself, unless he puts it on his back and runs away with it

Some of your better (more expensive) remote starts will be programmed with the info from the key then have a wire that wraps around the SKIM in the Jeep to make it think it is being started with the correct key. Some of the cheaper remote starts will just take a spare (programmed) SKIS key and zip tie it to the dash, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of the SKIS. At least with the better remote starts, it doesn't send the signal to the SKIM unless it is told to do so via you pushing the button on the fob.

Build Thread

KCCO
Unread 11-05-2009, 09:31 AM   #26
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
Well, that idiot can still steel all your ****, but hes not going anywhere with the jeep itself, unless he puts it on his back and runs away with it

Some of your better (more expensive) remote starts will be programmed with the info from the key then have a wire that wraps around the SKIM in the Jeep to make it think it is being started with the correct key. Some of the cheaper remote starts will just take a spare (programmed) SKIS key and zip tie it to the dash, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of the SKIS. At least with the better remote starts, it doesn't send the signal to the SKIM unless it is told to do so via you pushing the button on the fob.
That is an interesting description of how remote start works and the opposite of my understanding....

The comp is told to start by the key fob, it will stay running for a period of time if you do nothing. If someone tries to get in and take it, as soon as it is taken out of park w/o a key in the ignition or in the vehicle the ASD will shut it off. The whole "zip-tied TP key" had me lMFAO.

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #27
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseOR View Post
That is an interesting description of how remote start works and the opposite of my understanding....

The comp is told to start by the key fob, it will stay running for a period of time if you do nothing. If someone tries to get in and take it, as soon as it is taken out of park w/o a key in the ignition or in the vehicle the ASD will shut it off. The whole "zip-tied TP key" had me lMFAO.
This is correct once the Jeep is started. However, the Jeep cannot and will not start without the proper RFID signal, whether that signal comes from the remote start unit itself, or from a programmed key zip tied to the dash. Oh, and the ASD relay is usually linked to the brake pedal, not to the shifter

Build Thread

KCCO

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.