tried out my new spare key and the jeep dies - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > tried out my new spare key and the jeep dies

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 09-28-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
wjchristine
2001 WJ 

tried out my new spare key and the jeep dies

so this is totally blowing my mind. i got a new spare key made and i tested it out to make sure it actually worked. well i started it up and it runs fine for like five sec and dies. i noticed a dash light that was flashing. it was the one with the key that has the slash over it. i was thinking maybe the jeep has a safety system that cuts it off if it doesn't recognized the key. i tried my normal key and everything worked fine. anyone have any idea what the heck that's all about?

wjchristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #2
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

The WJs use a special sentry key that must be programmed to work with the anti theft electronics. You cant just use a plain old key the drive the vehicle.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

haha you have to dealer keys what type of key did you buy?

Thats called ASD automatic shutdown it does it when it doesn't like the key

U have to have them programmed to your Jeep.

not this 1990 crap when u can make a metal key and it works there's a RFID chip in your key now

i made one so i can atleast open the doors if i lock my real keys in
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

SKIM key.

It's an immobilizer based off the chip in your gray key.

If you have two, you can program one more. If you have one, you need to get another one programmed at the dealership.

Rampant Pack of Retards group president.
2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
1987 XJ - Gone but not forgotten
iluvtruenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
Twistedrocker
2004 WJ 

Yup, as far as I know, only the dealer can get you a spare that works with this anti-theft feature.
Unread 09-28-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
01Limited45324
2001 WJ 

If you only have 1 working key, you have to go to the dealer for a spare. Bring your lube with you, because you actually have to get two new keys since it has to be re-programmed to the Jeep. They quoted me about $250 all said and done.

If/When you get that second key, order a few RFID keys off eBay. Once you have two working keys, you can program replacement keys by yourself, for free.

2001 Grand Cherokee Limited
2002 BMW 530i
01Limited45324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #7
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJoshxx View Post
haha you have to dealer keys what type of key did you buy?

Thats called ASD automatic shutdown it does it when it doesn't like the key

U have to have them programmed to your Jeep.

not this 1990 crap when u can make a metal key and it works there's a RFID chip in your key now

i made one so i can atleast open the doors if i lock my real keys in
Incorrect.

Its the SKIM that turns the jeep off because of the Sentry Key Immobilizer System.

And you dont need a Dealer key, as long as it has the SKIM chip in it, you can go with a different manufacturer like Strattec.

Last edited by QuadraTokn; 09-28-2009 at 06:27 PM..
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Limited45324 View Post
If you only have 1 working key, you have to go to the dealer for a spare. Bring your lube with you, because you actually have to get two new keys since it has to be re-programmed to the Jeep. They quoted me about $250 all said and done.

If/When you get that second key, order a few RFID keys off eBay. Once you have two working keys, you can program replacement keys by yourself, for free.
You do NOT need to spend that much!

2 keys off ebay = $25 shipped

get it cut at the hardware store = $1

get it programmed at the dealer = $50 - If they try to tell you $100, walk away. Theres plenty of dealers that charge only 1/2 hr of labor. And ifthey try to tell you they charge $50 or $100 or something per key, punch them in the face and then walk away. Theres plenty of dealers that charge one fee for as many keys you have.

** I actually called the 15 closest dealerships to me until I found one that does it for free as a courtesy.
Unread 09-28-2009, 05:54 PM   #9
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraTokn View Post
Incorrect.

Its the SKIM system. Sentry Key Immobilizer - something.

And you dont need a Dealer key, as long as it has the SKIM chip in it, you can go with a different manufacturer like Strattec.
Closer, but still incorrect.

It is the SKIS - Sentry Key immobilizer system.

You were so close!

edit: the skim is only the module in the jeep does not include the key. (I googled it)

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 06:18 PM   #10
wjchristine
2001 WJ 

well i just went and got and ole metal key but now i know. thank you for the help.
wjchristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 06:28 PM   #11
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
Closer, but still incorrect.

It is the SKIS - Sentry Key immobilizer system.

You were so close!

edit: the skim is only the module in the jeep does not include the key. (I googled it)
Ok funny guy

All this info is in the owners manual. Also the FSM. ***If anyone needs either of these PM me!
Unread 09-28-2009, 09:15 PM   #12
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

So now what you do with your plain ole metal key is buy one of those magnetic key boxes, put the key inside, and attach it someplace hidden on your jeep. Now if you lock your keys in, you can easily get to the "spare door key" if you can find it, without the hassle of needing to break in or pay a locksmith etc. See your money is not wasted.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 09:41 PM   #13
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

Actually, you can start the car with a steel key.

Just hold your gray key really close to the keyhole while you're starting your car. After holding it there for 5 sec, the Jeep will continue to run.

When installing a remote start on a car with an RFID chip that does not have an emulator available for it, I would get a spare key made with the right programming, cut off the actual key part, leaving only the RFID chip and attach it inside the column. That way, when remote started, the car thinks that an actual key was used to start it and continues running.

Rampant Pack of Retards group president.
2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
1987 XJ - Gone but not forgotten
iluvtruenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 09:43 PM   #14
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvtruenos View Post
Actually, you can start the car with a steel key.

Just hold your gray key really close to the keyhole while you're starting your car. After holding it there for 5 sec, the Jeep will continue to run.

When installing a remote start on a car with an RFID chip that does not have an emulator available for it, I would get a spare key made with the right programming, cut off the actual key part, leaving only the RFID chip and attach it inside the column. That way, when remote started, the car thinks that an actual key was used to start it and continues running.
i seen it dun
Unread 09-28-2009, 09:53 PM   #15
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraTokn View Post
i seen it dun
i have too actually just get one programed saw off the key part and your good to go!
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.