tried everything in the search and i still cant get my lift gate open - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > tried everything in the search and i still cant get my lift gate open

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 02-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
markzj
1995 ZJ 

tried everything in the search and i still cant get my lift gate open

I have a 95 gc limited and yesterday the lift gate stopped working. I already searched for this but none of the solutions i found seem to work. I pulled the panel from the inside and i actually wound up cracking it but at least it makes it easier to get inside. I found the threaded rod and pulled up on it but that did not work. I tried pushing in on the door, hitting it, nothing seems to work. Is there another way i can get this open? the lock does work, and the handle does lift the threaded rod when you pull on it but it just wont open. is there a way to get a screwdriver in some where to pop it open? thanks

markzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Under the bumper is nuts holding the striker plate on ,remove them ,get inside with a pry bar,pry up under the striker ,the lift gate,until you can push open .
Did it on mine and two at the JY.
Mine is all fixed working fine,did not spring or bend any thing, doing this.
Latch is probably frozen.
I had to cut off the striker and get another one, plus latch

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

If you can get the latch to work you won't have to cut the striker off

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
Unread 02-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Did you Try disconnecting the rod from handle and pulling on it??
Rod may have slipped position

[/QUOTE]
Unread 02-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
elkski
1993 ZJ 

If you took the panel off you can get to the guts and open it. Try taking the rod off after marking its connection position. then move up the latch . I had the same problem with my 93.. I cant remember exactly how I did it but I know it was perplexing but I finally got it. I replaced the electric latch after I got it open. I also installed a cable from and ended it with a loop up near the window so the door can be opened from the inside manually for ever more. I think it can be opened even if the doors are locked using this cable.
elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
elkski
1993 ZJ 

this guy is having the same problem but he posted a pic of where to pull to open.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/l...asted-1334692/
elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
markzj
1995 ZJ 

Thanks for the advice guys. I popped out the threaded rod and pulled up on it with no luck. I guess I'm going to have to try removing the strike plate and prying open the door. Can the actual mechanism that latches to the strike plate be replaced? Also is that something I can buy brand new rather than from a jy?
Unread 02-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

The actual mechanism that latches to the strike plate, is the latch.
You can buy a new latch at teamgrandcherokee.com Or maybe some place else.
I purchased my Tailgate Handle there because black plastic lever was broken.
. They are a little slow compared to other parts suppliers, other than that, . Good prices , and great to deal with..
My latch was totally corroded and frozen, blasted it with penetrating oil, left it for a couple of days, soak it again, no luck.
If you pop it open with the striker hooked to the latch you can't remove the latch. try to release the striker from the latch If you can, after you get it open.(I could not).
if you have to cut off the striker, obviously you're going to have to have a new one, which I obtained from the second Jeep at the junkyard..
I used a ratchet strap Inside to hold the lift gate shut until I got the parts..
Here is an illustration to help.
Come back and let me know how it worked out.
Good luck
liftgate-latch-95.jpg  

[/QUOTE]
Unread 02-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I think I know what we all want to see done here.
sawzall_blade2.jpg  
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
Erek.Smith
1995 ZJ 

My lift gate didn't like opening, either, so we managed to get the plastic panel off (somehow) and we attached some steel wire to the latch arm (I think?) and ran it up towards the back glass. That way, if my lift gate doesn't want to function like it should, I can just pull on the steel wire and it releases.
Essential gear for America's heroes
Erek.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #11
markzj
1995 ZJ 

so I was forced to work on this today which was a good thing. I went to get some parts today and when I came out of the store my interior lights were on. I figured it had something to do with the lift gate not closing properly. when i got home I decided to follow hdrocknroll's advice. I unbolted the strike plate and used a pry bar to open the lift gate. at first i wasn't able to release the strike plate from the latch. I removed the the 3 torque bolts holding the latch in place and then blasted everything with liquid wrench. When i sprayed it i could see rust leaking it out so I flushed it until the liquid wrench was coming out with minimal rust color. Then finally the strike plate was released when I pulled on the threaded rod. I hooked it back up and then moved the latch a few more times while blasting it with more liquid wrench. Everything seemed to be working so I put it all back together and now it seems to be working just fine. I'm going to wait a few days and then relubricate everthing with liquid wrench lithium grease. Thanks guys for all the help. jeepforum.com to the rescue again!
Unread 03-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #12
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzj View Post
so I was forced to work on this today which was a good thing. I went to get some parts today and when I came out of the store my interior lights were on. I figured it had something to do with the lift gate not closing properly. when i got home I decided to follow hdrocknroll's advice. I unbolted the strike plate and used a pry bar to open the lift gate. at first i wasn't able to release the strike plate from the latch. I removed the the 3 torque bolts holding the latch in place and then blasted everything with liquid wrench. When i sprayed it i could see rust leaking it out so I flushed it until the liquid wrench was coming out with minimal rust color. Then finally the strike plate was released when I pulled on the threaded rod. I hooked it back up and then moved the latch a few more times while blasting it with more liquid wrench. Everything seemed to be working so I put it all back together and now it seems to be working just fine. I'm going to wait a few days and then relubricate everthing with liquid wrench lithium grease. Thanks guys for all the help. jeepforum.com to the rescue again!
Glad to here U got it open, and got the latch to work.
I used lithium grease to lube new JY latch
What a BIG PITA, right ?

[/QUOTE]
Unread 03-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #13
markzj
1995 ZJ 

major PITA. I scratched up the floor plastic trim panel when I pried it open and I cracked the lift gate trim panel when I was prying it off but at least it's working now.
Unread 04-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #14
anthonys

So whata need to replace probably
Mines not rusty but...
Latch and striker or just latch assembly?
anthonys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #15
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Rod may have slipped position ,If so you wont need to replace anything.
If somthing is broken, or frozen up ,well you just have to get in there and see, what might need replacing.

[/QUOTE]

Tags
liftgate , liftgate stuck , rear hatch stuck

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.