Transmission won't shift into OD until engine is warm? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission won't shift into OD until engine is warm?

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 12-05-2007, 04:20 AM   #1
GDITheman

Transmission won't shift into OD until engine is warm?

I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.0. Now that it's cold, the transmission won't shift into overdrive until the engine is completely warmed up and then it just shifts into OD as I'm drivign down the road.

It has 68,000 miles so maybe it's time for a tranny fluid change. Will that help or is there something else I need to look for?

Thanks.

GDITheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2007, 05:52 AM   #2
ezrider327
1997 ZJ 

Not knowing "exactly" what trans you have I am kind of guessing, BUT I believe this is actually normal. Most electric od transmissions will prevent the OD from coming on until the trans is at a certain operating temp.
As long as it works fine after she is warmed up I wouldn't be worried about it.

At 68,000 I would do a fluid change anyways, don't think it will help, but it surely won't hurt.
235 75 15 Toyo Open Contry AT's 15x8.5 Eagle alloy's
Flowmaster exhaust, custom winch bumper, Ramsey 9000lb, THULE MOAB roof rack
ezrider327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2007, 05:53 AM   #3
Turbonut

According to the AFM, the torque converter will only lock up after vehicle is warmed up. So I assume that it is in OD, but the drop in RPM's is the locking of the converter, not the trans shifting. Give it a try and see how many times the trans actually shifts when cold to see if it is really in O/D waiting for the converter to lock up.

The V-8's with the 545 will not shift into fifth until the trans is at a certain temp.
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2007, 06:09 AM   #4
GDITheman

It shifts fine but doesn't go into OD. Sounds like this is normal until the tranny fluid is warm. Just odd. I've had a few Jeeps over the years and never had this happen. It started when the temps dropped below 20 deg. So I guess it all makes sense.

I didn't know if switching to a synthetic oil would help with this. Sounds like it may not if a temp sensor decides when it's shifts into OD.

Thanks for the info.
GDITheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2007, 06:20 AM   #5
PSUHunter

I have a 00 Grand with the 4.7 and mine will not shift in OD until it is warm. One day when it got cold I was driving it and got worried, but then it shifted into OD, and it does it every morning when I leave for work, so I assume its the norm
PSUHunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.