Transmission won't shift into OD until engine is warm? -

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-05-2007, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Transmission won't shift into OD until engine is warm?

I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.0. Now that it's cold, the transmission won't shift into overdrive until the engine is completely warmed up and then it just shifts into OD as I'm drivign down the road.

It has 68,000 miles so maybe it's time for a tranny fluid change. Will that help or is there something else I need to look for?

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 Old 12-05-2007, 05:52 AM
1997 ZJ 
Not knowing "exactly" what trans you have I am kind of guessing, BUT I believe this is actually normal. Most electric od transmissions will prevent the OD from coming on until the trans is at a certain operating temp.
As long as it works fine after she is warmed up I wouldn't be worried about it.

At 68,000 I would do a fluid change anyways, don't think it will help, but it surely won't hurt.

If you are reading this, THANK a teacher. If you are reading this in ENGLISH, THANK a soldier!!! ESSAYONS
97 F350 Dually CC Powerstroke- - 65 Mustang - 74 Super Beetle - 93 Harley Sportster
97 ZJ 4.0 4x4 Auto : Rusty's BB lift & Rusty's K&N intake
235 75 15 Toyo Open Contry AT's 15x8.5 Eagle alloy's
Flowmaster exhaust, custom winch bumper, Ramsey 9000lb, THULE MOAB roof rack
post #3 of 5 Old 12-05-2007, 05:53 AM
According to the AFM, the torque converter will only lock up after vehicle is warmed up. So I assume that it is in OD, but the drop in RPM's is the locking of the converter, not the trans shifting. Give it a try and see how many times the trans actually shifts when cold to see if it is really in O/D waiting for the converter to lock up.

The V-8's with the 545 will not shift into fifth until the trans is at a certain temp.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-05-2007, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
It shifts fine but doesn't go into OD. Sounds like this is normal until the tranny fluid is warm. Just odd. I've had a few Jeeps over the years and never had this happen. It started when the temps dropped below 20 deg. So I guess it all makes sense.

I didn't know if switching to a synthetic oil would help with this. Sounds like it may not if a temp sensor decides when it's shifts into OD.

Thanks for the info.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-05-2007, 06:20 AM
I have a 00 Grand with the 4.7 and mine will not shift in OD until it is warm. One day when it got cold I was driving it and got worried, but then it shifted into OD, and it does it every morning when I leave for work, so I assume its the norm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.