Transmission troubles have searched and still have ??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission troubles have searched and still have ???

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-30-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
Donerstude
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Transmission troubles have searched and still have ???

First off I have done a ton of searching and am still a bit confused here is the situation:
I have a new to me 95 ZJ 4.0 l automatic transmission 42re and 320,000 miles. when driving from a dead stop (stop light or sign) I move the lever to 1st gear all is fine 2nd gear is fine to but if I start from a dead stop in Drive/overdrive it does not start in first gear it seems to be in 2nd or maybe 3rd the Jeep has no power what so ever until i get up to about 15 to 20 mph. I know 1st works fine if the lever is in 1st. the overdrive button/switch light is always on I tried the trick of turning the key on and off but the overdrive switch light never flashed.
In my searching I have found that this may be the accumulator spring? or possibly the bands need adjustment? or maybe I have a bad solenoid? or possibly a bad TCM?
anyone have any ideas? I do not want to just start throwing parts at this so any way to narrow this down will be helpfull!

lastly I know this car has obd1 if i get the codes pulled will it pull the codes from the TCM are the code even stored in the TCM? and where do I plug the code reader in.

thanks for all the help, I would really like to fix this as inexpensively as possible and know I can do the work if I just knew which work to do.

Black Jeep Society #276
89 XJ Cherokee 4x4
95 ZJ Grand Cherokee 2x4
Donerstude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
anticrombie
1996 ZJ 

The reason you're feeling as if it's starting in second is because it is starting in second (or is it third?). It's called limp mode. When your tranny has something act up in it, it puts it in this mode to save itself. It's ok to drive it like this, I'd just limit it to getting it home.

Mine did this and it turned out to be the governors and pressure sensors in the valve body. thankfully I had 3 extra 42re's laying around and I swapped it out from one of those.
anticrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
Donerstude
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the info I was hoping I might be able to fix it instead of replacing it, anyone else have any suggestions?
Black Jeep Society #276
89 XJ Cherokee 4x4
95 ZJ Grand Cherokee 2x4
Unread 08-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
Devonreed
1987 XJ Cherokee 

my 94 zj 4.0 did the same thing on its last voyage it acted slugish but got up to speed slowly.about 10 miles later after it shifting fine. i stoped at a stop sign and went to take off when it lost all power to the rear wheels and just reved.it finnaly caught but never made it to thired gear.it just reved i pulled over and tried to reverse but it did the same thing just reved.i let it cool and tried it again it started off fine until it had to shirt,it just reved.it did move tho so im not convenced its the trans.it also did reverse once i got it home it even drove a little more not very far thow. can anyone help
Devonreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

Consider putting in a shift correction kit. They come with a pile of replacement parts, and when I did one on a 94 GC recently, we found the accumulator spring was broken... but there's a new one in the kit! Check out Transgo and Superior kits, as they're cheap they improve your tranny, and you'll be in there anyhow (sounds like).
StellaTheZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
Donerstude
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks ! I will look into these kits I hope it will fix my problem.
Black Jeep Society #276
89 XJ Cherokee 4x4
95 ZJ Grand Cherokee 2x4

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.