transmission trouble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > transmission trouble

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 03-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
97stillrunning

transmission trouble

Ok, I have a 1997 grand cherokee that has 248,000 miles. I have what I believe to be 3rd and reverse. Computer reading came back as possible tcm. Does this sound like a tcm problem or should be breaking the transmission down and do a rebuild? Just hate to drop 200 bucks for tcm if I'm going to have to do a rebuild. Was having trouble 6 months ago with only shifting to 3rd on hwy replaced fluid/filter started changing with no problem, so I'm pretty sure thats not it....

97stillrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
RTLee
1995 ZJ 

Problem is, a guess either way results in money that might not have needed to be spent. I had my trans rebuilt, since they are common for issues anyhow. Only a good trans shop can really tell you. This isn't an area I'd even try to DIY without some diag/trans rebuild background for support.

If you have a scan tool, you can check for TCM faults. However, if there was an issue once already, there may be something more sinister going on. If codes are present, you know the TCM is doing (some of) it's job.

Really simple...spend 1/2 the cost for the computer and have it properly diagnosed. Then you can take the steps to fix yourself if you choose.

Last edited by RTLee; 03-23-2013 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: Ipad spelling issues...
RTLee is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.