transmission or transfer case? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > transmission or transfer case?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-14-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
buddyc72
1995 XJ Cherokee 

transmission or transfer case?

My 1995 GC motor runs strong, but last week while driving home from work, about 70mile, I heard a sound like someone hitting the underside of jeep with a hammer. The jeep kind of slipped like a tranny slip then was all good, about a mile later done it again but was fallowed by a loud growling sound, I say loud because a buddy of mine was two car lengths behind me and heard it! All of this happened at highway speed while rolling out of the throttle and back into it. Also noticed RPM drop to about 500 when I let off of gas peddle. The week before it would dye when shifting from drive to reverse but stopped that on its own. Any help would be greatly appreciated and would also help get the wife off my butt!!!

buddyc72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2014, 06:30 PM   #2
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

XJ or ZJ?? Which trans and which TC?
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
buddyc72
1995 XJ Cherokee 

95 grand Cherokee limited, 46rh trans, 242 tc conversion from the quadratrac
buddyc72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

My guess is that your transmission is due for servicing. maybe even replacing/rebuilding.
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2014, 09:55 PM   #5
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I moved this thread to the Grand Cherokee forum section where your fellow ZJ drivers can best assist.
Welcome to the forum and good luck with the jeep!
chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.