transmission or T-case issue? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > transmission or T-case issue?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! 2 door JK Recruit Half hardtop Kits Now available!

Unread 03-11-2015, 01:42 AM   #1
cirwin144
1994 ZJ 

transmission or T-case issue?

Recently I found out I didn't have reverse or 4wd in my 94 ZJ with the 4.0 and quadra-tech. While I was trying to check the fluid I also noticed that instead of engaging neutral when the selector was in neutral the transmission acts like its in drive. concerned that my transmission had gone I changed the filter and fluid but the old fluid looked normal and there weren't any flakes floating around.
I do admit that my knowledge of AT's and T-cases is very limited so before I take it to the jeep dealer and pay them 100 bones to look at it I figured I would dig around the forum to see if anyone else had this issue and was able to fix it but I didn't find anything useful so I'm just wondering if my transfer case not engaging the front wheel has something to do with my confused transmission or if there is something easy I don't know about to fix it like a vacuum line or something.

cirwin144 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2015, 01:59 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Transmission problem. Probably some broken bits inside. Has nothing to do with the t case.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #3
cirwin144
1994 ZJ 

thanks for the reply. but you think that I have an issue with my transmission AND my t-case? because my front tires are free spinning like a 2wd but I was under the impression that quadra-tech was full time 4wd.
Unread 03-11-2015, 02:00 PM   #4
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

Quadra-trac* is a full time system, take a look at your t-case lever positions and tell us how many are there.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2015, 02:47 PM   #5
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

What do you mean by "free spinning"? If there is any issue with the front axle you may have broken cv's, a bad viscous coupler in the t-case, or worse broken ring and/or pinion gear(s).
Unread 03-11-2015, 05:01 PM   #6
cirwin144
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ93 View Post
Quadra-trac* is a full time system, take a look at your t-case lever positions and tell us how many are there.
there are three positions: 4high, neutral and 4low.
Also could any of those issues XJ93 named effect my transmission problem?
reverse acts like an extension of park and neutral will drive it forward. I got it to shift from first to second in the neutral position but than got scared of causing more damage and put it back in drive.
Unread 03-11-2015, 05:05 PM   #7
cirwin144
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
What do you mean by "free spinning"? If there is any issue with the front axle you may have broken cv's, a bad viscous coupler in the t-case, or worse broken ring and/or pinion gear(s).
and I mean no power goes to them. I had it on a lift with it in drive and I grabbed the front tires and spun them backwards and forwards like they would on a rear wheel drive vehicle
Unread 03-11-2015, 08:56 PM   #8
LowBudgetZJ
1998 ZJ 

Front driveshaft missing?
Unread 03-11-2015, 11:19 PM   #9
cirwin144
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowBudgetZJ View Post
Front driveshaft missing?
the front drive shaft is installed and a couple months back I replaced the passenger side CV because the joint blew out and my 4wd was working after that but ever since I lost reverse it hasn't been working.
Unread 03-11-2015, 11:29 PM   #10
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Reverse/neutral issues are separate from your 4wd issue, so let's figure that out first.

When the trans selector says neutral, it's in drive, correct? Can you find the actual neutral? I'm suspecting the linkage could be out of adjustment
Unread 03-12-2015, 07:56 AM   #11
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

Yeah I would agree with MurdaJs, your linkage needs adjusted on the transmission. Get that done first. The 4wd issue may be your d.s. cv is blown out or something worse. One step at a time though. We can help get you pointed in the right direction.
Unread 03-15-2015, 05:55 AM   #12
cirwin144
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurdaJs View Post
Reverse/neutral issues are separate from your 4wd issue, so let's figure that out first.

When the trans selector says neutral, it's in drive, correct? Can you find the actual neutral? I'm suspecting the linkage could be out of adjustment
I cant find neutral or reverse at all. I even moved the lever on the transmission by hand while it was on the lift and it acted the same as if I were moving the selector up in the cab.
I was afraid it was my transmission had gone but I figured I would see if I was overlooking something because of how little I know about AWD systems.
thanks for all the info/ideas though guys.
Unread 03-15-2015, 06:01 AM   #13
cirwin144
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Yeah I would agree with MurdaJs, your linkage needs adjusted on the transmission. Get that done first. The 4wd issue may be your d.s. cv is blown out or something worse. One step at a time though. We can help get you pointed in the right direction.
If I'm reading this correctly XJ93 are you saying the selector on the actual transmission could be misaligned? As in the part the cable from the lever connects to and not the actual cable? Is that even a thing that can happen?
And I apologize for my ignorance. I can do just about anything on a motor but once people start talking about automatic transmissions its like they're speaking Russian.
Unread 03-17-2015, 02:20 PM   #14
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

Yes and yes. BTW, you say you recently found out about this issue. Is this a vehicle that sits or a recently acquired vehicle? I would think that in daily driving you would notice an issue right away. Has it been in for any kind of service work recently? I know when I had a recall service done for the shift interlock cable my shift selector was out of adjustment. Made them fix it.
Unread 03-17-2015, 02:23 PM   #15
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

Also check out post 16 in this thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/m...41/index2.html
You may need band adjustments as well.

Tags
4wd , automatic transmission , transfer case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.