Transmission Slip - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission Slip

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
zj-av8tr
1993 ZJ 

Transmission Slip

Hey everyone, long time reader, first time poster.

I have a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with about 134,000 miles on it. Lately the tranny's been slipping into neutral at stops. (I change the fluid and filter regularly.) Sometimes it slips without me noticing, other times it vibrates and I watch the rpm's drop to about 200, then jump back up to idle (600's). If the engine is rev'ed to 2,000 it'll shift back into drive.

P.S., I adjusted the TV cable, and it shifts fairly smoothly, but has trouble deciding on a gear to stay in sometimes.

If anyone can help, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Unread 03-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #2
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Which direction did you adjust the TV cable?

You have the 46RH which is hydraulically controlled and solely relies on pressure to shift before O/D. Sounds like you may have an inline blockage,contamination or a incorrectly adjusted TV cable. If not... the tranz will need a rebuild.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
zj-av8tr
1993 ZJ 

I let the cable self adjust. (My Grandpa showed me this technique on his GMC Sierra) The slider moved forward about 1/16in. It still shifts at 15, 25, 35, and 40-45 like it used to, it just shifts smoother. As for the slipping, it still does that, too.

How would a blockage be fixed?

(Btw, I use ATF +4 fluid.)
Unread 03-12-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
Upside
2002 WJ 

At around 170k the Jeep dealership flushed the trans in my v8 ZJ. The transmission had fluid, band adjustments, and filter changes every 30k up until then and started shifting irregularly. The flush cleaned out a bunch of crap and the trans shifted like new. I will say that you can kill the trans by flushing if it hasn't been maintained on a regular basis.
Upside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #5
ZombieJeep93
1993 ZJ 

Let me get this straight, you come to a stop, then when you hit the gas to go, does it just sit there and not move untill rpm gets to 2k then engages and takes off normally or does it slowly start to move but wilth higher rpm untill it gets into gear? if the latter, does still have all upshifts (4 including lock up) or only 3?
Unread 03-12-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

If the fluid level is correct (idling warm in NEUTRAL), it sounds like you have a restriction in the cooling circuit (probably the axillary cooler, if you have one).
Unread 03-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #7
zj-av8tr
1993 ZJ 

ZombieJeep93: If I rev the engine, it'll shift into drive and go off on its merry way like nother ever happened. I've been shifting into park, then back to drive if I'm sitting at a light. (Then it accelerates fine)

JrMechanic: Will a flush fix the restriction, or is there an easier way?
Unread 03-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #8
ZombieJeep93
1993 ZJ 

a quick check of cooler flow would be to remove rear cooler line at trans and put a pan or bucket under it. start truck, shift to neutral and you should have a good flow in a few seconds. dont run too long cuz you need to replenish the fluid level. only need a few seconds of flow to verify.

you might have a valve sticking either in valve body or gov. sometimes a fluid exchange/flush service can remedy this. try and find a reputable shop to do this.
Unread 03-13-2011, 11:06 AM   #9
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

1 quart in 15 seconds is typical if you pull a cooler line.
Unread 04-24-2011, 10:07 AM   #10
zj-av8tr
1993 ZJ 

Yeah y'all,
(Sorry I haven't been on in a while.) Brought the jeep down to Jiffy Lube for a flush, and after getting it back, the mechanic told me the transmission was full of air. Great. Anyway, it shifts perfectly now. Thanks for all your help, hope someone finds the thread useful.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.