GEARSHIFT CABLE ADJUSTMENT
Check adjustment by starting the engine in Park and
Neutral. Adjustment is OK if the engine starts only in
these positions. Adjustment is incorrect if the engine
starts in one but not both positions. If the engine starts
in any position other than Park or Neutral, or if the
engine will not start at all, the park/neutral position
switch may be faulty.
Gearshift Adjustment Procedure
(1) Shift transmission into Park.
(2) Raise vehicle.
(3) Release cable adjuster clamp (at transmission
end of cable) to unlock cable . (It does NOT come all the way off)
(4) Unsnap cable from cable bracket .
(5) Check transmission shift lever position by moving
it all the way rearward into Park detent.
(6) Verify positive engagement of park lock by attempting
to rotate propeller shaft. Shaft will not rotate
when park lock is engaged.
(7) Snap cable into cable bracket on transmission.
(8) Lock shift cable by pressing cable adjuster clamp
down until it snaps into place.
(9) Check engine starting. Engine should start only
in Park and Neutral.
(10) Lower vehicle.