Transmission rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission rebuild

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
WyoZJ
1994 ZJ 

Transmission rebuild

I'm thinking my tranny is getting a little tired. Has anyone rebuilt the 42RE or the 44RE? I want to tackle it myself but I have never rebuilt a tranny. Any help is welcome.

Front and rear Trailready bumpers, roof rack, IRO Rear long arms, and HD adjustable track bar for sale
WyoZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
tazimafied
2000 WJ 

Rebuilding an automatic transmission is not as dificult as many think. It is involved and will take more than a day especially if it's your first. My first suggestion is to find an ATSG manual. You can find them on ebay for around 30 bucks. Read through the manual and make sure you understand everything. You can also go to a local trans shop and ask questions there. I also recomend ordering the parts through the trans shop. Not only will you not have to pay shipping charges but the techs in the shop will be more apt to give you information if you're doing business with the shop. If they won't give you any information or the information contradicts the manual and/or they want you to bring it to them so they can look at it, go somewhere else. A good tranny guy is alwayse willing to help a backyard mechanic because thats where they started. Good luck with your rebuild and if you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Unread 03-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
WyoZJ
1994 ZJ 

Hey man thanks a lot. It may be a little while before it actually happens but I figured I'd ask and see what happens. I'll keep you in mind for more questions

Front and rear Trailready bumpers, roof rack, IRO Rear long arms, and HD adjustable track bar for sale
WyoZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
Tigggger
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoZJ View Post
Hey man thanks a lot. It may be a little while before it actually happens but I figured I'd ask and see what happens. I'll keep you in mind for more questions
never done it myself but if I were you I'd go ahead and get that manual and read through it a couple times during your down time.
Tigggger is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.