Transmission Rebuild? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission Rebuild?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 12-29-2005, 01:11 PM   #1
jnonny

Transmission Rebuild?

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with rebuilding a 42RE Automatic Transmission.. Mainly wondering if it's something worth considering, or is it really involved with lots of special tools and techniques required?? I have a í99 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L --my tranny is on itís way out and Iím debating on whether or not to attempt the rebuild myself.. Iíve swapped engines on the jeep and try to do most work on the Jeep myself.. But not too sure about a transmission rebuild.. I ordered a transmission rebuild manual thatís supposed to illustrate the whole process, so Iíll see how involved it looks from that.. But any feedback on how ďcomplicatedĒ it may be would be appreciated.. Essentially itís a matter of about $1800 for a rebuild at a shop or a rebuild kit for under $200..

jnonny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2005, 01:11 AM   #2
ZJ_COWBOY
1994 ZJ 

were have you seen a kit for $200?

2001 Neon getting 30 MPG w00t!
94 ZJ $200 Project.
ZJ_COWBOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2005, 09:47 AM   #3
jnonny

There seems to be various transmission rebuild kits available --just did some quick searches to get a ball park idea on pricing and found most to be less than $200..

Ebay has a kit for $130:
42RE Super Rebuild Kit (Ebay)

and I came across a high performance kit at IPT Performance Transmissions for $375:
IPT Performance Rebuild Kit
Unread 12-30-2005, 10:05 AM   #4
brandoncrone
1996 ZJ 

Also check www.Deantransmission.com They sell high quality mostly OEM overhaul kits. Also you will want to replace the torque converter as most of the junk sits in there and you don't want your nice freshly rebuilt transmission contaminated with that stuff. There are no tricks to overhauling it, some special tools to disassemble the overdrive unit, which you probably don't need to do anyways. Cleanliness, cleanliness, cleanliness is all I can say. No dirt and don't use shop rags to clean anything (they leave fibers behind)
brandoncrone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2005, 11:44 AM   #5
zoman

I heard it was easier to rebuild a 42RE than a GM700r4, and the 700 is freakin easy....Brandon is right, cleanliness is a must!!!
[COLOR="red"]86 MJ 2.8LV6[/COLOR], 5speed, bone stock for now...knocking, found damaged #4 conn rod journal, damn!
[COLOR="red"]97 ZJ 5.2V8[/COLOR], cheap 2'' lift, 31x10.5 AT's, wife's daily driver...
[COLOR="red"]77 Scout II[/COLOR], 304V8, Muncie 4speed(T-19WR), D44f&r, LSD, Homemade shackle lift, 31x10.5 Firestone Destination mudders, D20 t-case. 8"+ lift, 36" tires, and SOA coming soon...
[COLOR="red"]82 K5 Blazer[/COLOR], 4''lift, 35x12.5 Yoko Geolandar MT's...
zoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2005, 02:58 PM   #6
jeepholic

I found this on Ebay marked really wrong. I am sure someone here will find it useful.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

94 I6 ZJ at 4", 33's and front locker and 4.11 gears. Swampy Bypass.
[B]Black Jeep Club Member Ver. 2 #51[/B]
jeepholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2006, 12:58 AM   #7
jnonny

I appreciate the feedback ..Thanks, I'm definitely leaning towards rebuilding myself ..and if I do, I'll remember to keep "cleanliness" in mind...
Unread 01-02-2006, 01:36 AM   #8
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

I got a 42re sitting outside right now you could always rebuild for fun. if you want practice.

I bought an ATSG 42re service manual from ebay awhile back, I think it was like $12.

It might get rebuilt one day if I get around to it

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2006, 05:44 PM   #9
jnonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe.ls
I got a 42re ...you could always rebuild for fun. if you want practice.
Thanks for the offer for some practice.. was actually considering possibly picking up a junk yard tranny for "practice" and also minimize vehicle down time in being able to just do a swap.. but I'll have to see if I can find one locally for cheap..

also ordered the same manual from Ebay, waiting for it to come in to see exactly what's involved in the rebuild..
Unread 01-04-2006, 11:07 PM   #10
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

I keep saying im going to attempt to rebuild it, but in all reality coming up the spare money for the rebuild kit and actually doing it will most likely never happen..

Harbor frieght has a decent set of snap ring pliers if you dont have a set..

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.