Transmission Question for new guy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission Question for new guy

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 11-26-2003, 02:27 PM   #1
JoshR

Transmission Question for new guy

Since I'm new here, I have several questions, but I was wondering about when the car is sitting and idling high because it i.s cold, and the brakes are on, it seems like something will engage off and on. Is that the torque converter?? Is that normal?

The fluid is still red, but is probably about due to be changed since we just bought this 97 GC w/ 138k, I'm not sure about trannie service history. They maintained the oil well though.

Since it is a 4 x 4 can Valvoline do a trannie service, or should it be done at the dealer only. Anything to watch out for?

What about differential service?? Is that really important too?

What about the VC? Is that a problem on these? Anything to watch out for?

Thanks. All input is appreciated!!!

JoshR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2003, 05:31 PM   #2
Stocker

Congratulations and welcome!

First, only thing I can think of that will cycle is the A/C compressor. Like most if not all modern vehicles, it's designed that way to keep the seals in good working order, and it also helps dry the air so the defroster works better.

You'll likely pay more for the dealer to service the tranny, and any shop can do it, but check around. ATF+3 or the newer ATF+4 is advised, and change the t-case fluid at the same time. It might help your VC last longer. When they fail, the drivetrain binds up in tight turns at low speeds, especially when cold.

With 138K on the clock, I'd change diff fluid also - use dino or synthetic (I think 75W90 is called for), but if you have the tow package, be sure to use synthetic in the rear - and add friction modifier if you have trac-lok rear diff.

Check your owners manual for other service items, such as coolant, belts & hoses, air & fuel filters, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, brake pads...
Unread 11-26-2003, 05:54 PM   #3
Bob K

I just bought a WJ with 64k on the clock. I had the transmission serviced at a transmission shop. They changed the fluid, gasket and filter. Inspected it while they were in there. Test drove before and after.
This is the first auto trans I've ever owned and a lot of people say the GC trans don't last. So I don't want to take any chances. The tech who did the job recommends change and service every 30k miles. I think it's worth it.
The axles are an easy DIY. I use synthetic.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2003, 10:26 AM   #4
Harald

What the other guys has brought forward here is very true. With 138K, your VC is statistically likely to die within short if it hasn't been replaced already. That is one days work by a professional to replace it. Caltex has a special oil for our lock up rear differentilals with additives included. Changing oil and filter on tranny and oil on transfer and diff's is not a big deal. If you are interested in doing things yourself, a Chilton or Haynes manual is recommended.
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2003, 10:42 AM   #5
JoshR

What is the viscous coupler (VC) and what does it cost to repair? Is it something that gives certain warning characteristics first before going out, and is it better to repair it before going out or does it matter?

Is this service something that can be done by a regular mechanic or by a transmission shop, or is it definitely a dealer service job?

Does remanufactured work fine, or is OEM the best idea for the parts?

(97 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6Cyl. 4x4 w/138k)
Unread 11-28-2003, 10:58 AM   #6
Stocker

The VC is the unit in the t-case that allows the wheels to rotate at different rates so that the driveline doesn't bind up during tight turns at low speeds. As to repair costs, I haven't had it done but it's fairly expensive; try using the search button for more info. I don't think there's any real warning; and the best thing you can do is routine maintenance (fluid changes).
Unread 11-28-2003, 11:58 AM   #7
JoshR

Since I'm a fairly new first time Jeep Owner, can someone explain what the difference between the various models. I assume the WJ is the Wrangler...but when was the Jeep Cherokee first made, and what is the difference between the Cherokee and the Grand Cherokee, (does the Grand have the 4x4 capability?) When did the Grand Cherokee (I have a 97 turn into the new body styling) was it after the 98 model year?) Do people just refer to the Grand Cherokee as a GC?
Unread 11-28-2003, 02:40 PM   #8
Stocker

Cherokee is no longer made - it was phased out & replaced with the Liberty. Grand Cherokees are larger & can have V8 engines. GC is okay, but 93-98s are ZJ models, and 99+ are WJs (and have different body style). There are some 4x2 Jeeps, but most including Grands have 4WD or AWD.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.