Transmission question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission question

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-23-2003, 03:00 PM   #1
JAURS

Transmission question

Today I was driving to school in my 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee and noticed a slight problem. The transmission would shift smoothly into 4th gear, around 45-50mph where it normally does, but the tachometer would rev upwards by around 300-400rpms and I noticed a slight jerk, only very subtle. This happened twice to me on the way to school and also twice again on the way home. Most of the time it would shift fine and stay at a normal RPM but sometimes it would do this. The problem only occurred when the truck had been running for a while. I had the fluid changed and bands adjusted around 125K because of the bump-shift problem. I now have 142,500 miles and also run a 3" suspension lift with 31 inch tires. I have gone off-roading quite frequently but maintain the vehicle fairly well. If I hadn't been looking at the tachometer, I don't think I would have really noticed the problem because the jerk is very subtle. Does anyone have any input on what this problem could be? Also, I checked the trans. fluid and it was light pink, full, and smelled normal. I can't really afford the time or money for a transmission rebuild so hopefully someone can shed some light on whether this is a major problem or just something simple.

JAURS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2003, 02:50 PM   #2
RedArmy661

I think the problem with your GC could be in the transfer case and not the transmission. My 93 gc did the same thing and it ended up being the transfer, I didn't know this until I got an atlas transfer for it, then the problem stopped. you might want to take your transfer to the shop, check your rear diff. fluid and consistancy to be safe too.
RedArmy661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2003, 05:52 PM   #3
JAURS

Thanks for the reply, it's much appreciated. I talked to my local Jeep dealership today and they said they didn't think it was a transmission problem. They told me that as the engine gets older sometimes the fuel injectors get small clogs in various places, thus causing the engine not to receive enough fuel and to have a change in RPM. They told me to let the tank run down to the 1/4 mark and put fuel injector cleaner in and fill it up with premium fuel from a better gas station like Mobil. They said that if the problem was the transmission, the RPM change would be over 1,000 revolutions and I would lose around 10 mph in speed. Has anyone heard of this as a viable cause of my problem? Thanks again for any input.
JAURS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2003, 11:48 PM   #4
Bird

I had a 'hiccup' in mine around 65-70mph and it turned out to be the output speed sensor - after replacing it, the whole personality of the thing changed and now it runs great!
Even the bog I had when it would shift to 2nd went away.

Bird

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.