Transmission problems?! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission problems?!

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 04-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #16
Scrubz23
1994 ZJ 

I'll talk to my step dad about it, maybe he'll get up and look for once (lazy). If not I'll try and maybe save up some money and take it to a mechanic and see if he can find out what's wrong. >_<

Scrubz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 03:29 PM   #17
Scrubz23
1994 ZJ 

Also, are you sure it's not just my transmission blown?
Unread 04-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #18
rlcii77
1998 ZJ 

I am thinking that it's your trans. cooler lines leaking. As previously stated, start at your radiator & follow the cooler lines from the trans' cooler on the front of your radiator back to the trans.. It seems that these lines are a common thing to start leaking after this many years.

You have to get this leak fixed, considering by your description, "Leak is pretty rough after I drive it around" or you will defiantely end up needing to rebuild/replace your trans.. I am also thinking that once you get the leak fixed & you get the proper fluid level in the trans., that you may be in good shape, hopefully. Make sure that when it pops out of gear or seems to be stuck in a too high of gear that you do NOT rev the engine up because the trans. may decide to shift down & it WILL SLAM in gear & possibly cause much more damage. Don't ask...
rlcii77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #19
Scrubz23
1994 ZJ 

Yea I haven't been, I was worried I would end up blowing the engine up haha
Unread 04-14-2011, 08:10 AM   #20
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

Hopefully from the commentary here you've nailed down the some crucial steps to troubleshooting things like this... 1. Visual Inspection, 2. Confirm findings and 2nd Visual Inspection, 3. Identify problem and fix it. It all starts with getting a flashlight in your hand and following the fluid leak to the source. If you're not lifted it may be easier to put the vehicle on jackstands or ramps so you have some room underneath it.
Unread 04-14-2011, 11:21 AM   #21
Scrubz23
1994 ZJ 

My step dad says the tranny is just blown.
Unread 04-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #22
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

If he took it apart then sure, but you can't tell that by looking or testing while it is leaking at the lines. The best advice I can give you is this: START by fixing the leak... this should fix it since it seems it was driving ok before the leak right? If you still have hesitation or problems shifting, then change the fluid, gasket and filter (pretty easy to do just RTFM.) This will cost around $35 for everything if you DIY. If you still have issues, then maybe your tranny is blown - then again, have you looked at the transfer case? Don't give up, I've seen people pay lots of $$$$ only to have the same problem re-surface. If you go to a mechanic, the WORST thing you can do is tell them what is wrong.... let them diagnose and troubleshoot the issue. EXAMPLE: You're vehicle is clanking and driving like crap whenever you turn or accelerate and you know your shocks are blown - so you take it to an honest mechanic and say you need shocks - he replaces them along with new bushings - what if you told him what the vehicle is doing and he finds your shocks are good and only need new bushings???? Think about it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.