Transmission problems?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission problems?!

Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic HalogFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-20

Unread 04-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
Scrubz23
1994 ZJ 

Transmission problems?!

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, new to this.

I have a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.

The other day I was driving down the road and I felt it kick out of gear, and the rpm's were going crazy.
Pulled over on the side of the road, tried to back up and it wouldn't, or if it did, couldn't get it to kick into drive.

Right now in my drive way I can get it to go in reverse and drive no problem, I'm still worried about this problem of course.

Is my transmission gone bad? Any other idea of what could be wrong?

Scrubz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
MStaffin
1997 ZJ 

what motor do you have???
Unread 04-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
Scrubz23
1994 ZJ 

It has a V8 5.2L
Unread 04-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #4
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

Not sure is this is the issue, but have you changed out your tranny filter? You'd have to remove the pan, replace the filter and gasket ($10) and re-fill the fluid. Could also be a cable or linkage between the shifter and tranny but I've never repaired that so dunno - your problem does sound transmission related though.
gabrod72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
Scrubz23
1994 ZJ 

Also just took it around the block for a small drive, and it kicked out of gear. It kept feeling like it was kicking from drive to neutral, then I put it into park, and then back to drive and it worked fine.

Then when I got to a stop sign, it kicked out, I put it in park, then back to drive, nothing. Did it again, and I felt it kick into drive, and made it home.

Also I have had a transmission fluid leak, no i've not changed the filter, also, When I put it in drive, I have to pull it down into "2" then pop it up into drive, heard it was a linkage problem.
Unread 04-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
rlcii77
1998 ZJ 

Whens the last time the fluid was changed? How many miles is on the trans.?

I had my trans. rebuilt at 190K miles which is about 100 miles after I bought it It could be several things, TPS, fluid level and/or condition, linkage, etc.. You need to get that leak fixed because it may not be getting enough pressure. How bad is the leak?

Good luck. There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum that have helped me & a bunch of other people troubleshoot & repair many different problems.
rlcii77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

Not sure about linkage as I haven't encountered those issues yet (knocking on wood here.) Wouldn't the shifter feel somewhat odd or loose though if it is a linkage?? I'm not sure. I did have a problem similar to yours and filter made a huge difference as it was packed with worn clutch material or power... since then, I've been doing this to every ZJ I get since it's cheap insurance. Are you fixing this yourself?
gabrod72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
Scrubz23
1994 ZJ 

I'd like to fix this myself / get help from my step dad.

Umm no Idea how much is on the tranny exactly, Just bought my jeep almost 2 months ago, and it has 175k miles on it, Leak is pretty rough after I drive it around, Someone told me it could be the lines near the front of the vehicle. And It does feel a tad loose on the shifter.
Unread 04-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

If it's leaking fluid, that needs to be solved first - even before a linkage problem. You could try checking the lines at the radiator or tranny cooler and follow them with a flashlight to see where the leak is coming from. It's possible the leak is coming from the pan, if it is, then you'll need that $10 kit I spoke of - while you're there you might as well change the filter which can only be seen once the pan is removed. At 175k, it probably needs this either way so you won't be wasting your time (unless you're 100% certain the previous owner did this recently.) Keep in mind that all of this requires visual inspection - THAT IS THE KEY... until you get up under it and look, you won't know where it's leaking from.
Unread 04-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #10
Scrubz23
1994 ZJ 

It's leaking in the front, and tranny fluid is all over when you look from under the jeep.
But I'll def buy that kit and change the filter while I'm at it. Thanks for the recommendations, I just don't wanna have to change a transmission
Unread 04-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #11
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

Looking at the floor won't help you chase where the leak is coming from - you'll have to look everywhere and chase it to the "root cause" of the leak. The kit is just insurance in case you're tranny's having problems circulating fluid through the filter. My other ZJ had a very loose feeling shifter but it always went into gear properly after I changed the filter and gasket.... here's a link. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...3230&ppt=C0023
Unread 04-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #12
Scrubz23
1994 ZJ 

Here's some pictures from under the vehicle, that I thought maybe the leak was coming from, any thoughts on them :

http://i54.tinypic.com/1z3neo1.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/140b2gx.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/2u59sgo.jpg
Unread 04-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #13
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

Is that your transmission pan in the pic? Mine had something similar where it leaked all over the lines when the drops fell from the pan. Anyhow, Looks like you're on your way to finding the source of the leak. Not sure why it seems that the leak is coming from higher up than the pan, but mine was really dirty everywhere when it was leaking... I guess some of that may come from driving.
Unread 04-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #14
Scrubz23
1994 ZJ 

Nope that's not the transmission pan, I'm not smart when it comes to vehicles, all I can tell ya, is that the transmission pan is further back and a bit lower down?

This is closer to the front end than my oil plug is.
Unread 04-13-2011, 03:11 PM   #15
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

In that case your lines are "carrying" the leaking fluid from the front of the vehicle... which means your leak may be at the radiator or tranny cooler (I think 6 cyl has built in cooler in radiator and 8 cyl has a separate one but I can't remember.) Anyway, check the lines at the front of the hood near the radiator and see where they connect. You may be able to tighten them... don't loosen them unless you're changing out your fluid and filter though as that would just cause you to have to replace more fluid.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.