Transmission not upshifting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission not upshifting

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 03-21-2001, 10:29 AM   #1
jmsjeep

Transmission not upshifting

My 1997 limited w/ quadratrac will not upshift, it lets the rpm's go to 5500 - 6000 without shifting so I have to keep screwing with the gas changing the pressure until it shifts. Any thoughts?

'89 YJ 4 banger all stock, replacing all the worn out guts first, 97 grand cherokee limited
jmsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2001, 01:16 AM   #2
KCjeeper

I had mine in the shoplast week because it wouldn't drop-down into 1st gear when I came to a stop. Shop replaced the governer and it is working fine. Do you have a 'Check Engine' light on?
Unread 03-22-2001, 11:31 AM   #3
jmsjeep

No lights come on. Does downshift fine, just not up.

'89 YJ 4 banger all stock, replacing all the worn out guts first, 97 grand cherokee limited
Unread 03-29-2001, 11:14 AM   #4
jmsjeep

Does any one have any ideas, I don't want to bring it to a shop, without attempting anything myself or at least getting some idea as to the actual problem. I am nervous about walking in with a "transmission problem" I won't know what to expect!!

Unread 03-29-2001, 09:08 PM   #5
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Interesting. If there was a problem it should have switched to the limp home mode where it sticks in 3rd gear full time. I'm just talking out my rump but I'd check for loose plugs and hoses under the hood and on the tranny. Wish I could help.
>shrug<
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2001, 10:17 PM   #6
J'sJeep

My friends ZJ started doing this same thing. It is the governor.
Unread 04-03-2001, 12:07 PM   #7
jmsjeep

Thanks I'll check it out

Unread 04-11-2001, 07:28 PM   #8
Daniel

Hi i am a new member. i had a friend that had a 97 that had the same problem with it reving up really high and not going any where. i belive they ended up replacing the whole trans. my trans has a lot of hard miles on it and it has held up though.
my name is Daniel i have a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 2wd, Green, custom intake bonnet with K&N cone, true duel side exit exhaust with dual high flow cats and magnaflows. my fastest time at the track is a 15.10 at 91 MPH and it made to 210 HP to the back tires.
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2001, 06:00 PM   #9
speedo

hows your truck. id check the throttle position sensor.
speedo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2001, 01:23 AM   #10
DMS

Years ago, I experienced the same problem. It wouldn't upshift unless I tried to force it by backing off on the gas. Eventually, it got to the point where it simply slid into neutral. Finally, I began to experience the problem where it hesitated going into Reverse. All of this usually happened during the first few miles, before everything "warmed" up.

The problem turned out to be bad seals in the transmission. They dried out, allowing tranny fluid to leak past them. With the loss of hydraulic pressure, the trans wouldn't shift properly. Once fully warmed up, the seals softened enough to work most of the time.

I was told that, regardless of what the manufacturer says, you need to change the trans fluid yearly. Apparently, there are additives to keep the seals moist. Sounds like a simple solution, but it appears to work. I've always tried to change the fluid as regularly as possible and have avoided the problem since.

Of course, replacing the seals requires almost a complete rebuild of the trans.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.