Transmission-No reverse - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission-No reverse

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 12-06-2005, 07:18 PM   #1
mmstone

Transmission-No reverse

Hello-
I drove all day with no problems. At the end of the day, I pulled into my driveway (very steep) and tried to put the Jeep into reverse...no go. Drive works fine. I thought it may be linkage...does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!!

Unread 12-06-2005, 09:33 PM   #2
mmstone

More info ....

Just got home to take a look at the Jeep (my wife made the above post). Anyway .... the jeep runs absolutely fine in drive. All shifts seem good and normal. Reverse is a no go. THe back-up lights come on and there is a slight whirring when the gas is depressed. There is a little movement but the vehicle doesn't travel.

Any ideas? Bands? If its a band, can just the band be replaced or are we looking at a rebuild?

Also, last week I had the shifter detent recall performed. Could something be messed up or shifted?

Thanks again for any and all thoughts!!

Jeff

Last edited by mmstone; 12-06-2005 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: More more info ...
mmstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2005, 10:55 PM   #3
FLAWLESS

Check your fluid level yet?

I used to have an old Ford truck that would do that when it was low on fluid.
FLAWLESS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2005, 11:01 PM   #4
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

Any slippage when you are going into overdrive? (Try turning it off and back on as your driving and see how it shifts)

I had a slippage (more of a real rough shift) going to overdrive then lost reverse gear all together. (After i lost reverse and drove a bit i had a grinding noise that lasted about 10 seconds, it made it home but it got replaced)

I believe the reverse gear is part of the overdrive unit.

Could be:

Gearshift linkage damaged/out of adjustment
rear band is out of adjustment
valve body malfunction
rear servo or front clutch malfunction
overdrive unit direct clutch malfunction

(According to 42re service manual)

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2005, 09:24 PM   #5
Jeep-Tech1

Sounds like a hard part problem. Like a planetary gear set or something.
Jeep-Tech1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2005, 12:34 AM   #6
PDshooter

I would disconect the trans, linkage and see if I can ingage it by hand in reverse. Make sure you have somone on the brake pedal...that you trust!
MOS 63H 11B 43E
PDshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2005, 02:41 PM   #7
mmstone

Update ...

I ended up taking her to a reputable transmission shop for further diagnosis ... They dropped the pan thinking that an "o" ring may have slipped off the selenoid. This was not the case ... and the bands were good shape and properly tightened. So ... you guessed it ... rebuild.

However, I did pick up a 12 month/18K warranty and its picking up $1100.00 (the cost of my dead trans being replaced with a used one) and I'll be applying it towards the rebuild. So its not as horrible as it could have been.

We should have her back on the road Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks for all the advice!!
Unread 12-09-2005, 05:14 PM   #8
Flyinbrick

Sorry to hear that. The tranny's hooked up to our I6 are the worst. I had a MOPAR rebuilt tranny put in back in April. Runs good now.

Do yourself a favor and have them install an external transmission cooler. If you plan on keeping the ZJ longer, it's a worth while investment IMHO.

Good luck.

BTW how much is the rebuild going to run you?
Wagoneer Dana 44 Front End w/ ARB, Currie Rockjock 60 Rear w/ Detroit, 37" Baja Claws, Poison Spyder Tire Carrier, Competition Corners, Flat Fenders, Front Stinger, Full roll cage, GenRight Fuel Cell, Snyper Fab Rocker Skids
Flyinbrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2005, 09:16 AM   #9
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

When they rebuild it, have them install a shift kit. It will help out a lot as well.
Unread 12-10-2005, 08:08 PM   #10
mmstone

I'll call them on Monday and see if it isn't too late. If it's not ... what do you recommend I go with?

Also, is there anything that I should have done with the trans is out?

Just trying to be a bit pro-active for once.

BTW - The overhaul is running $1728.00. Surprisingly the warranty is picking up $1100.00 of that ... so it's no too painfull.

Thanks again guys and I'll be upgrading my account right now.
Unread 12-11-2005, 06:11 PM   #11
mmstone

Shift kit info ...

I hate to post again so quickly, but tomorrow is creeping up on me.

What type, brand, model ... etc. of shift kit should I get put into this? What excactly will it do? Just move the shift points?

Also, while the trans is out is there anything else that I should to to the Jeep?

Thanks again!!

Jeff
Unread 12-11-2005, 06:23 PM   #12
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Go with the Trans-go shift kit.
It will firm up your shifts, and there are steps to increase fluid flow (lubrication) to the overdrive unit, which is sadly underlubed in stock form.

HTH
Unread 12-13-2005, 04:47 PM   #13
mmstone

Well got her back today with a rebuilt tranny ... runs like a champ! Good thing it was under warranty though. I'm sure my wife wouldn't agree that a rebuilt tranny is a good xmas gift.

Now onto the next problem ... whatever it may be.

Thanks again for everybody's input on this matter. It is greatly appreciated.
Unread 12-13-2005, 05:31 PM   #14
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Glad it's working now. Mine's getting a five speed on Saturday hopefully!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.