Transmission leak just got worse - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission leak just got worse

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
qxotic
1998 ZJ 

Transmission leak just got worse

I'm going to try to post some pictures to see if someone can tell me where the leak may be coming from. It had been a very slow leak the last few months but this last week it has gotten worse enough that I need to start thinking about getting it fixed.

The cross member is very wet and drippy... the bell housing of the tranny and the pan both seem dry so I am not sure where it is coming from. Any ideas?

Thank you for all the suggestions,

Daniel

tran1.jpg   tran2.jpg   tran4.jpg   tran10.jpg   tran12.jpg  

Last edited by qxotic; 06-15-2013 at 05:07 PM..
qxotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

If Im not mistaked there is a weep hole right there to let fluid drain out.. That is the rear seal on the transmission thats leaking i think.. Gatta drop the transfercase to replace it.. I could be wrong the orientation of yours pics is making it hard to tell
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Best thing to do is get up under there and wipe it all down, then drive it and keep checking until you figure out where it's coming from. Use a flashlight and mirror.
ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Looks like its leaking outta everywhere: tranny output seal, speedo sensor, slip yoke seal.
Wipe it up and/or spay degreaser, and see where it shows up first.

Mine's leaking a tad too, havent figured out whether its the shift lever seal or the roll pin rubber plug (its 242)
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
qxotic
1998 ZJ 

Thank you all for the input. It looks more and more like it is coming from the rear seal. I've done a lot of searching and reading. I would like to try to repair it myself. It's my nature to do what I can and learn as I go. I am not afraid to get dirty... and not shy about asking questions. Even when I think I know what I am doing I'll ask questions to be sure.
I have found some good posts on putting a transmission back together. I guess at this point I am looking for suggestions on where to learn more, if there are posts I have not found that cover removal of the transfer case... and if I should do any maintenance on it while it is out.
What kits are best to use for the transmission?

I'm sure it would be a little less work to just change the seal.. not having to completely remove the transmission.. but with about 174K miles wouldn't it be a good idea to rebuild it... or is it better not to mess with something that is working fine?

For documentation... any specific manual or book suggestions? I have a Chilton Jeep 84-98 which has been almost worthless on everything I've tried to use it for. Nothing has been right in it yet for what I have.. from the way my serpentine belt is to how the cowl and wipers are... none of its examples have been what I have on mine. I guess a lot of things on the later years are different from the earlier years and they didn't put in enough information for claiming it covered my year. So if someone knows of a good one that would be accurate for my year I would like to hear about it. I like manuals I can download online and have on the computer when possible... (they are easier to search for key words and I can find things quicker.)

Thank you for the opinions.
Unread 06-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Regarding the tranny - if it aint broke, dont fix it! You might drop the pan and change the oil and filter in the tranny, but thats as far as I'd go.

Regarding the tcase removal: check out these 249-to-242 swap threads, they sure do need to remove a case to do that, these writeups are pretty good.
Another one with lotsa pictures:
http://kevinsoffroad.com/techarticle...-242_swap.html

Regarding the manual - just get the FSM (factory service manual), it's great!

You can find it on the web, try googling "colorado4wheel zj fsm"
Unread 06-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
LoveHate
1995 ZJ 

just noticed isn't that your tranny mount in the 4th pic? if so your missing the bushing. might wanna fix that asap because that can mess up other things. and check your engine mount bushings they're probably shot too. oh and the leak does look like the rear seal to me too. I would just do as they say and clean it all up and see where its coming from first. if the trannys shifting fine I would just drop the pan see how the atf looks, if all s well replace the filter, fill back up with atf+4 and let it be.
Built Not Bought #693
LoveHate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
shaban
1996 ZJ 

LoveHate, My tranny mount looks exactly the same and it doesnt look worn to me, it's just the way the rubber is moulded in there.
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #9
qxotic
1998 ZJ 

Shaban, Thank you for the information. The offroad site has a zip file that says 1993 ZJ, will that be specific enough for my 98?

I copy and pasted into a document what I needed from the swap site.. and bookmarked it in case I need more.

I just bought the jeep early this year. The prior owner had just had the trans. filter done because at that time it was leaking from the pan... that and the fact I keep having to top it off now means the fluid is very fresh. ATF-4

If I decide to just drop the case and replace the bad seal.. is there anything else I should do while it is all apart? All the boots on the shafts look to be in good shape.

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaban View Post
Regarding the tranny - if it aint broke, dont fix it! You might drop the pan and change the oil and filter in the tranny, but thats as far as I'd go.

Regarding the tcase removal: check out these 249-to-242 swap threads, they sure do need to remove a case to do that, these writeups are pretty good.
Another one with lotsa pictures:
http://kevinsoffroad.com/techarticle...-242_swap.html

Regarding the manual - just get the FSM (factory service manual), it's great!

You can find it on the web, try googling "colorado4wheel zj fsm"
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Try this one:

http://paf.im/GrcyC - 96 ZJ

I've seen a 98 ZJ fsm somewhere too, will let you know.

Here's one:

http://www.filedropper.com/98zj
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #11
qxotic
1998 ZJ 

Thanks Shaban, the filedropper looks to be a good one. It's my DD.. and it might be a month before I get enough time off to tear it apart.. so I'll keep a close eye on it in the meantime and do a lot of prep. reading.

Thank you for the information!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.