Transmission issues again - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission issues again

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Transmission issues again

A few months ago I tore apart everything to fix a shifting issue and it is back. I replaced the front pump, tourque converter, accumulator piston, pressure sensor, all new fluid, adusted the bands, adjusted the TV cable. I took it completely off and put a different transfer case in. It was fine for about two weeks, then it stated acting up again. I'm not sure if it is shifting into 2nd late or 3rd early. When I start, it gets to about 25 in first at 1.6k rpm. (6~8 seconds) Then shifts to second, drops to about 1k and at about 28 mph and 1.2k it shifts into 3rd (only about two seconds later) and drops to around 1k again. I found out if I am towing it shifts much better. Fluid is fine, Am I looking at a new transmission all together or does anyone have a suggestion I have not tried? Sometimes it does shift fine, and it seems to shift better cold. It also gets rotten in town milage, around 10 mpg. I get much better highway at around 16mpg. Thanks!

kb9mfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

I just realized I had the rpm's wrong. 1st to 2nd is 2.5 to 3k, then drops to 1.75k, 2nd to 3rd is a second later at 1.9k and drops to around 1.4k. (+/- 200 depending on how agressive I am) When it is cold 1st to 2nd shifts at 2.2k, the rest is the same. (but it takes longer for it to shift from 2nd to 3rd as it drops to 1.4k instead of 1.9k) It seems when it warms up the shift from 1st to 2nd does not happen until 400 rpm later. What would be causing the delay in shifting from 1st to 2nd when the fluid is warm? Thanks!
kb9mfd is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.