Transmission Help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission Help?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 07-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
corndawg665
1995 ZJ 

Transmission Help?

I've been having issues with my Jeep when it comes to shifting gears. Mostly the issue is between 2nd and 3rd, but ometimes happens between 1st and 2nd. When I'm driving, it will have an extremly delayed shift, or will sometimes shift on its own when I let off the gas to where the RPMs drop to nearly 1000. but this doesnt always happen. However I've found that when I turn on Overdrive I have no issues. Also I've found that If I use "Z-Max Micro-Lubricant Transmission Formula" it temporarily helps it shift more natuarally. although any other "repair" fluid doesnt help. Any thoughts?

Also, the engine light is not on.

corndawg665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

adjust the TV cable maybe
Unread 07-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

when was the transmission fluid changed? If it's been a while, change fluid and filter, adjust bands and TV cable.

while you have the pan off look for big chunks, take pictures and post them if there's anything that makes a noise when you drop it in the pan.
ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 05:24 AM   #4
corndawg665
1995 ZJ 

My jeep has 250,000 miles on it so I don't think I need to change the fluid. What belts are you mentioning? And what step by step instructions would you suggest for adjusting the TV cable?
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #5
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

step 1: look in upper left corner of your computer screen and find search box
step 2: type "adjust TV cable"
step 3: click on 2nd hit and read

So you just keep dumping the snake oil on top of old transmission fluid hoping it will fix it?? I didnt mention belts, I mentioned bands, but never mind. I recommend you take it to a shop.
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
corndawg665
1995 ZJ 

No, I realize its just a Band-Aid on an ever increasing problem. What bands are you mentioning? And I'm a computers type of guy, never taught how to fix cars. So I'm trying to learn cause taking this to a shop isn't gonna help me long term. When I looked up Tevin cable adjustment I found different solutions aand id rather ask someone who might have done it before than a youtune video. If you know what I mean.
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

it's a throttle valve cable. the FSM procedure that i already told you how to get to is the way to do it. the bands are inside the transmission.

you say you dont know anything about automotive but you have come to the conclusion that you dont think you need to change the transmission fluid, though I already gave you a suggestion on you what you need to do to get to a point where you can determine the mechanical condition of the transmission. You apparently dont know how to listen or want a magic answer. belts, tevin cable??

First off, adjust the TV cable exactly the way it says here. Do not vary, do not deviate because you think it could get you to where you need to be.
If that doesnt help, dont readjust it.

Fluid change and band adjustment are next. one of the bands is accessible from the outside of the transmission and the other from the inside. do not attempt to adjust the bands until you have seen what's in the pan. so if you adjust the bands you will have drain some of the precious old wore out fluid that you think is keeping your transmission going.

i'm not going to bother typing anything else until you think this is what you need to do.

good luck
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
corndawg665
1995 ZJ 

I'm not saying I'm an expert or I wouldn't have asked my question in the first place. The only reason I said what I did about changing fluid is because I have always been told to not change it after 200,000 miles by friends and mechanics alike. I'm not trying to argue at all. But you brought up a good point and it'll get changed tonight. Ill respond soon with results from adjusting the TV, and changing the fluid. And thanks so much for your insight.
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

The advice for not doing a transmission flush on high mileage engines is correct. Simply dropping the pan and draing all the fluid you can and re-filling doesn't cause the issues that a mechanical flush can. All you need is a new filter for a 42RE pan, gasket and about 6 quarts of ATF+4
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #10
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

be sure to use ATF4. the stick may say something else. it's wrong.

you really should adjust the bands. you'll need and inch/lb torque wrench. see this
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
corndawg665
1995 ZJ 

Ok so when I change this I just wanna empty the the fluid like I would if changing the oil, then replace it with ATF4. Is there a filter to replace too?
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #12
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndawg665 View Post
Ok so when I change this I just wanna empty the the fluid like I would if changing the oil, then replace it with ATF4. Is there a filter to replace too?
yes.
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #13
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

There is a filter that you can see once you take the pan off.

Easiest (and cleanest) way to drain the pan I have found is to warm the Jeep up a bit, then park it on a slight incline (driveway or ramps) so that the rear is lower than the front. Remove all the bolts out of the side closest to the rear of the Jeep, then the first bolt on the right and left side. Place your catch pan so it is closer to the rear of the pan and loosen the next two bolts on the right and left sides, then start to loosen the bolts along the side closest to the front of the Jeep. This will keep the pan attached, but the rear of the pan will drop some allowing the lfuid to drain in a more controlled way.

I'd install a drain plug while you're in there. Makes is simple if you ever need to do it again. Make sure the gasket surfaces are super clean when you put everything back together.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #14
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Filter kit comes with a new gasket. Use a felpro kit.

raise front end slightly. use the a catch pan that covers a large area. If you dont have one, use a lot of newspaper. it's messy if you've never done it.

loosen all bolts on pan so you can gradually lower the back side of the pan, allowing the fluid to run off the back lip of the pan. if you have the time, remove the filter and let it sit overnight to drain. less fluid in your face.

when you refill it, do it carefully so you dont over or under fill. once you think you have it right, drive it a couple of miles and check it again. Run the shifter through all positions and check in nuetral, not park.
Unread 07-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #15
corndawg665
1995 ZJ 

So I have to buy a new gasket?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.