Transmission help!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission help!!

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #16
mburton02
1994 ZJ 

Just found thanks to google..

"The Aisin Warner AW4 transmission is an automatic shift, four-speed overdrive transmission used in the 1987-2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee and MJ Comanche models. Its only year in the ZJ Grand Cherokee was 1993, and only with the six-cylinder."

Maybe I have an early 94, carryover 93 or whatever...

Unread 01-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #17
Rich93ZJ
1993 ZJ 

So we have established what trans you have but the switches still seem pointless.
Rich93ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #18
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburton02 View Post
Just like in a daily driver tho, it I just shift the shifter into OD it starts out in first gear... my jeep obviously starts in first with the shifter in OD and the switches all off... if it wasnt in first it would have a tougher time taking off from a stop or whatever... i have driven in down the road with all switches off,, it runs, pulls, shifts fine... go to pull up on trailer without ramp and it wont

it still drives and shifts "normal" with shifter in OD and switches off.. for some reason, some how, some way it has more pulling power when the switch is flipped on 1st or 2nd... like something boosts like pressure or something..thats the only way i can think to say it that would make sense..
maybe it locks up the torque converter, but that's the only thing it can do. there's no "power boost" capability in a transmission or the ecu on these vehicles. the only thing i can say is you're probably not starting out in first like you assume you are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburton02 View Post
Just found thanks to google..

"The Aisin Warner AW4 transmission is an automatic shift, four-speed overdrive transmission used in the 1987-2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee and MJ Comanche models. Its only year in the ZJ Grand Cherokee was 1993, and only with the six-cylinder."

Maybe I have an early 94, carryover 93 or whatever...
it was only used in the first quarter of 93, you don't have a 95 or 94with one from the factory.
it's a somewhat popular swap.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #19
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Follow the switch wires... where are they connected or spliced in...?

If they control the solenoids, perhaps wired in near the TCM under the dash or solenoid harness underneath near the tranny.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 06:34 AM   #20
mburton02
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
maybe it locks up the torque converter, but that's the only thing it can do. there's no "power boost" capability in a transmission or the ecu on these vehicles. the only thing i can say is you're probably not starting out in first like you assume you are.

it was only used in the first quarter of 93, you don't have a 95 or 94with one from the factory.
it's a somewhat popular swap.

With the shifter in OD and the swithes off it starts in 1st, without a doubt... I can drive it down the road and count the shifts. It shifts as stock
Unread 01-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #21
mburton02
1994 ZJ 

Ill try to go look this weekend and see if I can see where the wires are running to...
Unread 01-17-2013, 06:40 AM   #22
mburton02
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich93ZJ View Post
So we have established what trans you have but the switches still seem pointless.
The switches arent pointless... without them flipped on I couldnt climb anyting... the transmission just does not have full power or hookup unless the shifter is in gear and the switches are flipped...

I have wheeled this thing prolly 5 full days since I got it.. it climbs up, thru, and over anything on the trail.. I always keep the shifter in OD and the switches in 1 or 2... If the shifter is in OD and the switches are off it wont pull itself onto the trailer let alone over anything on the trail!
Unread 01-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #23
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

which makes zero sense unless it isn't starting in first, honestly. these transmissions have no "power boost" functionality. you really need to find out what they did with this thing.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/awshift/awshift-1.htm

http://www.northjerseyjeepclub.org/s...Manual-Shifter

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/a...ite-up-273048/

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #24
USAXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

It sounds like the switches are routed to the TCM and lockout the gears through the solenoid. It's a pretty common upgrade for the aw4 as it sometimes likes to downshift while climbing.
USAXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #25
TheRealOldjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich93ZJ View Post
The switches force the trans to stay in a particular gear. Pretty common mod for the short wheel base crowd with swapped in AW4's. I had a setup like that with an electrical controller in my YJ (awshifting.com)
97 TJ 2.5L/30RH - daughters car

www.oldjeep.com My site
TheRealOldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #26
USAXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I've been thinking about doing that to my xj. It sometimes likes to shift at the most inopportune time. Charging a long hill or something it'll shift and I'll lose either traction or power. It looks like a pretty simple setup.
USAXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.