Transmission help!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission help!!

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
mburton02
1994 ZJ 

Transmission help!!

I have no idea what I have... Ill try to explain it and hopefully someone can tell me what it is...

I have a 94 ZJ I6-auto that is dedicated trail monster. When I got it the trans had been rebuilt/redone by the previous owner. On the console I have (2) 2-way toggle switches. I can start the Jeep and put it in gear with the shifter like stock, and it shifts thru the gears like stock.

The toggles, depending on what position they are in, lock the trans in a selected gear and seem to make it pull way harder than normal. With the trans in o/d and the toggles in o/d the jeeps seems to not have power to climb, but with a flip of the switch (into 1,2, or 3) it will climb right up. Almost like the switch boosts the trans pressure or something. I have created at artistic rendering of the switch setup and layout I will attempt to attach.

untitled.jpg  
Unread 01-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
mburton02
1994 ZJ 

Come on... All these jeepers... Someone has to have some idea what I have... Help!!!!
Unread 01-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Not sure what it is but its cool
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #4
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Im not sure I follow whats going on??? You should have a 42RE on a 94 4.0. The 1-3 shifts are made hydraulically with the only electrical influence being the governor. This means that toggle switches cannot control shifting in 1-3rd gears unless toggle switches were affecting governor pressure in some sort of a way which seems highly unlikely. From what I can tell by what you are saying, you have toggle switches that can control shifting right? If so it looks like you might have an AW4?
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2013, 06:42 AM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

You'll need to figure out what transmission you have, because the stock ones can't do that.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
mburton02
1994 ZJ 

Not sure what trans I have... where are the numbers or castings that ID it??? I just recently did a transfer case swap, the t-case was the original, and I swapped it to the 242 (i think) to have 2wd and no visc coupler. Everything bolted all up normal, so it must be something stock or a direct replacement fit wise...
Unread 01-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
mburton02
1994 ZJ 

jnicewan > I really have no idea what I have... I am very mechanical, but this is just something electrical... I always put the shifter in OD (like I was driving normal on the street) ... when I have the first toggle flipped up, the second down the trans will NEVER come out of first... While driving it like that i can flip the second switch up and it instantly shifts up to second....as it would with 3 and 4 if I moved the switch accordingly... if i started with both switches up it would start in first, then shift to second and NEVER come out of 2nd (just as if the shifter was in 2nd).
Unread 01-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #8
mburton02
1994 ZJ 

With the shifter in OD and the toggles all down (like OD) I can try to pull up on the car trailer without ramps and its like I have a 200,000lb trailer hooked to me and I just dont have the power to pull up on the trailer... the Jeep is obvioulsy in 1st gear at that point... if I then flip the toggle up to lock it in 1st the Jeep climbs right up on the trailer like it was nothing.... something in this set up has to boost the pressure or something somehow...

Its like magic.... Im trying to pull everything I can think of on here...maybe it will make sense to someone...
Unread 01-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

I am not sure if we can help you with this because there is not a way to know what these toggle switches are doing or what they are wired to, I suspect they are wired to trans shift solenoids. Maybe someone swapped in an AW4 but they didnt complete the proper wiring including a TCM A 42RE would not work like that because the 1-3 gears are hydraulically shifted. It would have to be an AW4 but I dont think those were only used in early production 93's.

I looked at the shift solenoid chart for the AW4 and incidentally your toggle switch diagram matches the shift solenoid diagram for the AW4. Based on your pic, the first toggle would be shift solenoid 1, second toggle is shift solenoid 2 and up is on, down is off. If this is the case, you need to toggle the trans in first for first gear
Unread 01-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

I guess you are still left with the problem of leaving your shifter in "OD" right. It seems like the toggle switches are overriding the shifter input. If so, you need to either wire up the toggles so that there is a way to bypass them entirely when using the shifter, or continue using them or just get rid of them.
Unread 01-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #11
mburton02
1994 ZJ 

This situation is not a major problem for me... my jeep is dedicated off road. The shifter still mechanically controls the trans as far as shifting from P, N, R and Drive.... but yes, the switches override what the shifter is in as far as foward gears. Using it off road I always have the shifter in OD and mainly just keep the switches in 1 and 2 so that I have the extra power.

I was really just trying to find out what I have for future refrence.... is there an advantage or disadvantage to the AW4 set up?? Is it a decently reliable transmisson for offroad?? I have only taken it out a hand full of times, but it doesnt seem to pull as hard now as it did on trip 1... does the AW4 kill fluid quick or have problems??
Unread 01-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #12
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

i don't think you're getting extra power, i think it's not shifting when in drive only...as in, full manual shifting. so, if you continue to try to drive in the "low power mode" you'll be burning up the whole trans.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #13
mburton02
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
i don't think you're getting extra power, i think it's not shifting when in drive only...as in, full manual shifting. so, if you continue to try to drive in the "low power mode" you'll be burning up the whole trans.

Just like in a daily driver tho, it I just shift the shifter into OD it starts out in first gear... my jeep obviously starts in first with the shifter in OD and the switches all off... if it wasnt in first it would have a tougher time taking off from a stop or whatever... i have driven in down the road with all switches off,, it runs, pulls, shifts fine... go to pull up on trailer without ramp and it wont

it still drives and shifts "normal" with shifter in OD and switches off.. for some reason, some how, some way it has more pulling power when the switch is flipped on 1st or 2nd... like something boosts like pressure or something..thats the only way i can think to say it that would make sense..
Unread 01-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #14
Rich93ZJ
1993 ZJ 

I'm confused. What is the point of the switches? Couldn't you have just put the shifter in 1rst, 2nd, drive, and OD to accomplish the same thing?
Rich93ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #15
mburton02
1994 ZJ 

Im trying to figure out what the point of the switches are lol.. i know what they do, just not sure what the setup is all about

Putting the shifter in 1st or 2nd still just doesnt have the same power as turning the switches on

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.