Transmission gasket leaking on 97 GC. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission gasket leaking on 97 GC.

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-29-2004, 11:26 AM   #1
eagleknight
1997 ZJ 

Transmission gasket leaking on 97 GC.

I just called 2 local dealers to see how much it is for a transmission flush. Well one dealer doesn't take the pan off on a flush, but to flush it and take the pan off they said around $160-180. The other dealer doesn't do flushes, but just drains the pan. They said $80. Can I just drop the pan myself to replace the gasket? I need some recommendations.

My GC is a 97 model Laredo 4x4. 135,000 miles.

eagleknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2004, 01:06 PM   #2
Dalmask

Unless you're getting a "power flush" or whatever that one company calls it, all they're doing is pretty much only changing what's in the pan anyway. So the job is entirely a do it yourself kind of deal.

Also, I have to question the competence of any dealer that would change the fluid without taking off the pan to change out the filter, since that's typically a well-neglected filter for most people.

If you have questions on the process, lemme know. It's pretty easy to do.

-Dal
Dalmask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2004, 12:34 PM   #3
7thStranger

80 bucks is not a bad deal.

You will probally spend $50 on filter, gasket, ATF.

If this is the first time to remove the gaskett be prepared mine was one of those gork gasketts took forever to get all of it off of the pan.

Other than that it is an easy job.
7thStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2004, 11:06 AM   #4
eagleknight
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thStranger
80 bucks is not a bad deal.

You will probally spend $50 on filter, gasket, ATF.

If this is the first time to remove the gaskett be prepared mine was one of those gork gasketts took forever to get all of it off of the pan.

Other than that it is an easy job.
It costed me $17 for 5 quarts of fluid and the kit which includes the filter and gasket.
eagleknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2004, 12:06 PM   #5
7thStranger

I bought all my stuff from the dealer. Big difference. I needed a crank position sensor.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.