Transmission drip - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission drip

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 02-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
Tdaz250
1994 ZJ 

Transmission drip

Hey all. My zj has a little transmission drip...not sure what it's from but the pan is wet with fluid. It's only a few drips and I check the level pretty regularly just in case it gets low.

Anyways I'm curious what the common leak places are. I'm thinkin it's the tranny pan gasket but I've read other stuff where it's between the t case and the tranny...stuff like that.

I'd just like to get it fixed so it's one less thing to worry about. Not enough to take it in cause I'll just add fluid every once and a while but if it's something small I can fix then I'll do it.

It's got 179k on the clock. The PO said it was rebuilt.

Unread 02-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #2
KJK
1998 ZJ 

You're going to have to clean it off well and then watch it to see where the drip starts from. It's the only way.
Unread 02-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
Tdaz250
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJK View Post
You're going to have to clean it off well and then watch it to see where the drip starts from. It's the only way.
I'm gonna do this next time its a nice day out, but i'm also looking for what common causes are for a small leak on the ZJ's
Unread 02-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Either the rear trans. seal (at the joint connected to the transfercase), or the pan gasket (maybe one or more bolts are loose). On the driver's side above the pan where the gear selector enters the case, or where the wire harness connects.
All of these may leak or seep trans. fluid (at least mine has at one time or another).
Unread 02-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Could be the NSS, a sensor on the drivers side above the pan near the drive shaft it has a 3 wire plug. Stick a rag in between it and check it a few hours or overnight to see if fluid is on the rag. If there is this switch could be leaking.

Both our Jeeps were leaking from this.

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/...2/HPIM1664.jpg
Candymancan is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
StidgeInTN
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJK
Either the rear trans. seal (at the joint connected to the transfercase), or the pan gasket (maybe one or more bolts are loose). On the driver's side above the pan where the gear selector enters the case, or where the wire harness connects.
All of these may leak or seep trans. fluid (at least mine has at one time or another).
About these bolts being loose, i've had to tighten mine 2x since my last trans fluid change about 750 miles ago. Is this a common problem or could i use thread locker on it?

BTW-sorry for thread stealing but can't find any thing about when i search.
StidgeInTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Common places are what people mentioned.

Neutral Speed Sensor which is by the front drive shaft on the side of the transmission above the pan. My 5.9 was leaking out of this sensor and it was leaking really really bad. I thought originally it was the transmission pan, so i changed the gasket and it didnt fix it until i found out it was the sensor.

It seems its very common to leak at this sensor on these Jeeps. i found alot of talk about it, and our 4.0 is doing it now also

The transmission pan bolts go into an alluminum tranny case... Dont use thread locker unless its the blue stuff so you can get the botls out easily.. Otherwise red thread locker = stripped bolt threads. Personally i wouldnt use any kind of thread locker on the transmission bolts
Unread 04-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #8
StidgeInTN
1998 ZJ 

Think i may have found my problem. Bad tranny mount = vibration = bolts coming loose. Time to do some work!
Unread 04-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
StidgeInTN
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan
Common places are what people mentioned.

Neutral Speed Sensor which is by the front drive shaft on the side of the transmission above the pan. My 5.9 was leaking out of this sensor and it was leaking really really bad. I thought originally it was the transmission pan, so i changed the gasket and it didnt fix it until i found out it was the sensor.

It seems its very common to leak at this sensor on these Jeeps. i found alot of talk about it, and our 4.0 is doing it now also

The transmission pan bolts go into an alluminum tranny case... Dont use thread locker unless its the blue stuff so you can get the botls out easily.. Otherwise red thread locker = stripped bolt threads. Personally i wouldnt use any kind of thread locker on the transmission bolts
Right again there Candyman. My leak is coming from NSS. Thanks for the insight.
Unread 07-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
Tdaz250
1994 ZJ 

To give a conclusion to my problem it ended up being the transmission bolts were loose. About half I could give a full ratchet turn to them. I tightened them up cleaned up the pan...made it drip alot less then I got under again, this time pulled them really tight and it hasn't leaked since.
Unread 07-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #11
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

carefull making them REALLY tight, they are only suppose to be at around 18 ft lbs i believe, which isnt that tight
Unread 07-24-2011, 08:18 PM   #12
Tdaz250
1994 ZJ 

I went under again just to check on it and(today) and they were loose again...not bad...bout a 1/4 a turn on my ratchet. No drips...but I have to wonder why it keeps getting loose
Unread 08-14-2011, 09:20 AM   #13
Tdaz250
1994 ZJ 

I think i'm going to run and get some lock-tite today for these bolts. I tightened the bolts...look under there 3 or 4 days later(after wiping the pan clean) and its wet and the bolts are loose agian. Not dripping like it was before but i want to get it done and not worry about it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.