Transmission dipstick - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission dipstick

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 09-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
abraham743
1997 ZJ 

Transmission dipstick

Okay guys I could use a little help. To start I bought a bucket of 97 zj. I brought it home and rebuilt the transmission put a water pump on it and replaced all the bearings in the rear diff. I believe the transmission dipstick may not be the correct one. When pushed in all the way it pops out about a half inch. I think it hitting the bottom of the pan.

My Jeep is a 97 grand cherokee tsi 5.2 and 44re trans

If some one could look at their dipstick and see what the part number is I would appreciate it. Or if you happen to have a manual with the correct part number that would work too

Thanks for your help

abraham743 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
E55&98 Jeep

The two Jeeps I have do the samething.
E55&98 Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

Mine did that too, I just snipped about an inch off the bottom and haven't had a problem since.
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
Higgins
1998 ZJ 

Yup! Had same problem on 95, 96, and now 98's

AL
Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

On my 93 the dipstick sat down perfectly fine in the original transmission. I put a junkyard trans in and the dipstick stuck up about 1/4". I lived with it for a while but the last time I changed the fluid I could see scratches where it was hitting the bottom of the pan. I cut 1/4" off the end and it's back to being perfect.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #6
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Actually, if you snip the end off, your oil level reading is not going to be correct.

As you snipped it off, the stick can go in further and for the same oil level it'd show more on the stick.

Nothing terrible but i'd put some extra marks on the stick with engraver to make up the difference.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Mine does this if I don't put it in a certain way. Flip it around 180 degrees.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaban View Post
Actually, if you snip the end off, your oil level reading is not going to be correct.

As you snipped it off, the stick can go in further and for the same oil level it'd show more on the stick.

Nothing terrible but i'd put some extra marks on the stick with engraver to make up the difference.
My dipstick fit fine in my original transmission. It was too long once I swapped in a junkyard transmission. I used the original dipstick and tube so the difference must be the transmission pan. With everything original the fluid level was referenced to the top of the dipstick tube since the stick did not touch the pan. After I trimmed the stick it once again references the fluid level to the top of the dipstick tube. The top of the dipstick has a seal that's meant to seal to the top of the tube; this leads me to believe that Jeep meant the dipstick to fit all the way down the tube. I bent the tip a little to get it to stay down first but bending the tip skews the reading as much as cutting the tip and I like having my trans sealed.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaban View Post
As you snipped it off, the stick can go in further and for the same oil level it'd show more on the stick..
The friction at the top should be holding the stick so it doesn't pop out of the tube. If you push the stick down into the pan all the way, the full mark will be at the correct level. Whether forcing it down or cutting it off, the full level is still the same distance from the top of the tube.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #10
Snowfan2
1998 ZJ 

My 5.2 did it and my 5.9 does it. Snip 1/3 inch off the end of the stick and get a new O ring so it stays down and keeps dirt out, if you need one.
Snowfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
coralman
new wrangler prototype

1998 ZJ 

I wonder since mopar made the 99up 42re pans slightly deeper if it would fix this issue.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
chaZJones
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins View Post
Mine does this if I don't put it in a certain way. Flip it around 180 degrees.
same with mine. must be the angle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.