JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Transmission dipstick (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/transmission-dipstick-1612865/)

abraham743 09-22-2013 05:46 PM

Transmission dipstick

Okay guys I could use a little help. To start I bought a bucket of 97 zj. I brought it home and rebuilt the transmission put a water pump on it and replaced all the bearings in the rear diff. I believe the transmission dipstick may not be the correct one. When pushed in all the way it pops out about a half inch. I think it hitting the bottom of the pan.

My Jeep is a 97 grand cherokee tsi 5.2 and 44re trans

If some one could look at their dipstick and see what the part number is I would appreciate it. Or if you happen to have a manual with the correct part number that would work too

Thanks for your help:cheers2:

E55&98 Jeep 09-22-2013 05:51 PM

The two Jeeps I have do the samething.

jm8881 09-22-2013 06:20 PM

Mine did that too, I just snipped about an inch off the bottom and haven't had a problem since.

Higgins 09-22-2013 06:23 PM

Yup! Had same problem on 95, 96, and now 98's

AL

zjosh93 09-22-2013 06:24 PM

On my 93 the dipstick sat down perfectly fine in the original transmission. I put a junkyard trans in and the dipstick stuck up about 1/4". I lived with it for a while but the last time I changed the fluid I could see scratches where it was hitting the bottom of the pan. I cut 1/4" off the end and it's back to being perfect.

shaban 09-22-2013 06:46 PM

Actually, if you snip the end off, your oil level reading is not going to be correct.

As you snipped it off, the stick can go in further and for the same oil level it'd show more on the stick.

Nothing terrible but i'd put some extra marks on the stick with engraver to make up the difference.

JasonStebbins 09-22-2013 06:55 PM

Mine does this if I don't put it in a certain way. Flip it around 180 degrees.

zjosh93 09-22-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaban (Post 16231025)
Actually, if you snip the end off, your oil level reading is not going to be correct.

As you snipped it off, the stick can go in further and for the same oil level it'd show more on the stick.

Nothing terrible but i'd put some extra marks on the stick with engraver to make up the difference.

My dipstick fit fine in my original transmission. It was too long once I swapped in a junkyard transmission. I used the original dipstick and tube so the difference must be the transmission pan. With everything original the fluid level was referenced to the top of the dipstick tube since the stick did not touch the pan. After I trimmed the stick it once again references the fluid level to the top of the dipstick tube. The top of the dipstick has a seal that's meant to seal to the top of the tube; this leads me to believe that Jeep meant the dipstick to fit all the way down the tube. I bent the tip a little to get it to stay down first but bending the tip skews the reading as much as cutting the tip and I like having my trans sealed.

ZeeJay1997 09-22-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaban (Post 16231025)
As you snipped it off, the stick can go in further and for the same oil level it'd show more on the stick..

The friction at the top should be holding the stick so it doesn't pop out of the tube. If you push the stick down into the pan all the way, the full mark will be at the correct level. Whether forcing it down or cutting it off, the full level is still the same distance from the top of the tube.

Snowfan2 09-23-2013 07:35 AM

My 5.2 did it and my 5.9 does it. Snip 1/3 inch off the end of the stick and get a new O ring so it stays down and keeps dirt out, if you need one.

coralman 09-23-2013 04:21 PM

I wonder since mopar made the 99up 42re pans slightly deeper if it would fix this issue.

chaZJones 09-23-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonStebbins (Post 16231193)
Mine does this if I don't put it in a certain way. Flip it around 180 degrees.

same with mine. must be the angle

The time now is 12:32 PM.