Transmission, dead or alive? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission, dead or alive?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
Ozman94
1997 ZJ 

Transmission, dead or alive?

Driving down the road one day and my zj takes a *****. She slipped between gears twice after slowing down at lights. I was going to pull off if it continued but I figured it might be due for a tune up. Either way, the third time it stopped changing gears altogether and would not idle at all. It never overheated, no smoke etc. I had it towed to the only transmission shop around and these guys seemed ridiculously lazy. My jeep never moved from the spot it was at at their shop and I left a receipt on the seat which never moved an inch nor was it flattened etc. They just said it was worth more than the Jeep was to fix it.

So now I'm wondering if the transmission really did die on me or may there be other problems? I have -not- checked my transmission fluid since this has happened as unfortunately I went back to college the next day and had to leave the jeep behind. Thoughts please?

Ozman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Have it towed to your place and then start figuring things out. Could just be low on fluid or could be on the way out. You can swap in a junkyard trann for about $300.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #3
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

My trans did the same thing. Dropped the pan and found a hand full of big aluminum flakes. Grabbed a junkyard trans for $400 (now they are about $250 go figure). I replaced the front and rear seals and the filter/fluid. It's been fine for about five years of me beating on it.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.