transmission cooler line leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > transmission cooler line leak

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-29-2010, 01:09 AM   #1
bigphil76
2005 WK 

transmission cooler line leak

OK I'm fed up with this dang transmission cooler line. Ok first of all I noticed the leak under the radiator and took it to a mechanic. He said it was leaking from the quick disconnect on the lower line on the radiator, and it would need a new line to fix it. So I went and bought the line and he replaced it. $127 for labor $36 for the line. Well then exactly a month later I noticed it leaking again. I got under the jeep and it was leaking in the same spot. I went back to the mechanic and he said it was leaking in the same spot and I would have to pay labor again since I supplied the part. (WHICH IS BS) Well I didn't have the money to do it then so I just keep checking it and adding fluid when needed. It got worse and worse to the point were it looked like I was just pouring the fluid on the ground. Then I got paid, I took it to a different mechanic. They took a look at it and called me and told me it was leaking at the fitting that is on the radiator (the nipple where the quick connect slips on) Well I had a leaking radiator anyway so I went and bought a new radiator new hoses and serpentine belt(it needed the belt) he told me the transmission cooler line would be fine since it was a month old. . $230 parts and $200 labor. They installed everything and took it for a 30 min test drive and I was there when he got back. We both looked under it and no leaks. Well that was 3 days ago and I just got under the jeep to check for leaks and guess what, the lower line is STILL leaking. Whats can I do to fix this????? please help.......The jeep is a 1997 grand cherokee with the 4.0

bigphil76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
gomes512
1994 ZJ 

Take the line off yourself and check it. It's not hard at all, there's a stainless steel clip that holds the line onto the nipple. Remove it carefully with pliers and make sure that the nipple isn't scratched or damaged. Then shine a light into the line to ensure that the mating surface isn't jacked up either.

Ensure that when you reassemble first without the clip that the two have a light snug fit. Carefully put the clip back on the line then snap it back on.

Are you sure that the new radiator isn't leaking? Often times it will run down the side and drip off the lower line. Flash a light at night between all the fins and look for red.
gomes512 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.