Transmission Cooler Hose keeps popping off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission Cooler Hose keeps popping off

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!3" BDS Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep JK 07-11Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-29-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
RickyZJ
1996 ZJ 

Transmission Cooler Hose keeps popping off

So the line from the tranny running to the transmission cooler has now popped off 4 times in the past year, spilling all the tranny fluid in the process.

The first time the compression fitting just popped off...stuck it back on and was good to go.

2nd time, the fitting failed and wouldnt go back together. Cut off the fitting and doubled up the hose clamps, it popped off again. Put it back on with the tube flaired this time. Was good to go.

Now it just happened for a 4th time.

Now I have two hose clamps, on as hard as they can be, as well as the tube being flaired...this is getting fairly expensive for just tranny fluid.

What can I do to keep it from coming off again??

Unread 07-29-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

no idea, maybe if it happens again just replace all the hoses. Hoses will stretch and form to a larger size over time.

If you replace the hose make sure you get one that is for ATF. Hoses for fuel are degraded by transmission fluid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
baxy

post a pic of the line where it popps off
baxy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
kc8ztw
1993 ZJ 

thers a kink somewhere and it builds up pressure and blows off at the weakest point.
kc8ztw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
gomes512
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8ztw View Post
thers a kink somewhere and it builds up pressure and blows off at the weakest point.
Yep, have you verified that the cooler is not plugged completely or partially?
gomes512 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2015, 06:38 PM   #6
ZJsent
1994 ZJ 

Hi there,

So I'm having the same issue and don't know what and how to check for issues.

To give you a brief history of the problem, back in 2008, while I was on vacation, my dad was driving the car and this line had popped off of the transmission connection for the first time. The issue was fixed by a mechanic. About 8 months ago, the transmission stopped responding due to a leak. I didn't know enough to know where the leak was from; I just changed the oil and filter and everything was back to normal. Then, about a month or two later, while driving the transmission stopped responding again. This time it was evident where the leak was from. The same line but at a different connection had ripped off. I changed the connectors and used a heavy duty ATF line and everything went back to normal.

Again, a couple of days a go while driving the transmission gave out. That same line had popped off of the transmission for a second time. What and how should I check and see what the problem is.

I'm including a few more images below:

In advance, appreciate your assistance.
ZJsent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2015, 06:18 AM   #7
TJorange
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If your talking about the rear line poping out of the tranny there is a new fitting that screws into the trans that will replace the old plastic clip. Got mine at the dealer. If your having problems with the acual line splitting at the joints which is what I think I was seeing in the picture I would replace the cooler lines. You dont want those lines to pop off while your driving, trans fluid will pour out without your knowing and you could burn up the transmission. I hope I was able to help some or offer some guidence as to what I would do to fix the problem the right way the first time. Let me know now how it works out.
TJorange is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2015, 08:42 AM   #8
ZJsent
1994 ZJ 

Thanks for your response. I actually called up all the dealers around the area; none of them have the line. They said it's a discontinued item. I even tried other places like AutoZone, PepBoys, and etc. They all said the same thing "discontinued item". The clip on it is actually aluminum, nevertheless, if there is a better alternative why not.

My only other concern is that something is causing a very high pressure, hence, something ought to give. My suspicions are the valve and the cooler. Any suggestions/experience is highly appreciated.

Thanks.
Unread 01-20-2015, 01:30 AM   #9
ZJsent
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJorange View Post
If your talking about the rear line poping out of the tranny there is a new fitting that screws into the trans that will replace the old plastic clip. Got mine at the dealer...
TJorange, thanks for your help! I was able to find the product, first online, then, at a local Car Quest store (Dorman 800-610 Automatic Transmission Line Connector).

What I did was:

1. Changed out the original line connector with "Dorman 800-610".

2. Flushed the cooler with a couple of "Dr. Tranny Kooler Kleen 19001" (not the best product).
3. Put in a new filter
4. Put 5.5 Qrts. of "Castrol High Mileage Transmission Fluid".
5. Put 1.5 of "Lucas Transmission Fix".

I will most likely change the second connector as well with my next fluid flush.

Thanks!
Unread 01-20-2015, 06:02 AM   #10
firsttimeZJ13
1995 ZJ 

If I remember correctly, a lot of people were removing the check valve in the line. If you have a heavy equipment shop anywhere by you, most of those guys could make new lines from mimicking the old ones.
Unread 01-20-2015, 06:23 AM   #11
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

You could always use ATF hose and a barbed fitting.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2015, 09:06 AM   #12
ZJsent
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeZJ13 View Post
If I remember correctly, a lot of people were removing the check valve in the line. If you have a heavy equipment shop anywhere by you, most of those guys could make new lines from mimicking the old ones.
Oh that's good to know! I haven't been able to find a replacement valve and that should explain why that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
You could always use ATF hose and a barbed fitting.
Thanks! I made a note of it.
Unread 01-20-2015, 09:23 AM   #13
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

^ I've made new lines/repairs like that Polka and while maybe not the correct way seemed to work well. I'll also use 2 fuel injector clamps on every non-fitting hose connection, with the screws on opposite sides, to make sure they don't leak.

I'd be real concerned if this happened 3 different times; "the transmission stopped responding due to a leak". Wasn't it slipping some and does the trans still work well again when full of fluid?

Since your lines have blown off 3 times it may be time to find some type of fluid pressure tester to connect between the high pressure line to find out just what the pressure is? Parts stores may even have loaner ones. Good luck.

BTW, excellent pics w/labels!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2015, 11:17 AM   #14
ZJsent
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
I'd be real concerned if this happened 3 different times; "the transmission stopped responding due to a leak". Wasn't it slipping some and does the trans still work well again when full of fluid?

Since your lines have blown off 3 times it may be time to find some type of fluid pressure tester to connect between the high pressure line to find out just what the pressure is? Parts stores may even have loaner ones. Good luck.

BTW, excellent pics w/labels!
Uniblurb, you're correct. The very first time did some damage to, I believe, the first and second gears. That's why I've been using the "Lucas Transmission Fix". Lucas has smoothed out most of it. I only notice the issue on steep inclines when the car is first starting to move. I've been wanting to rebuild the transmission but have not found a shop I can trust (locally) yet.

I really believe it is the directional valve causing the issue. I will keep a closer eye on things and see if I can pick up on any signs. I think a pressure tester is a great idea. I'll look into it.

Thanks for your feedback and complement!
Unread 01-20-2015, 12:03 PM   #15
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJsent View Post
Uniblurb, you're correct. The very first time did some damage to, I believe, the first and second gears. That's why I've been using the "Lucas Transmission Fix". Lucas has smoothed out most of it. I only notice the issue on steep inclines when the car is first starting to move. I've been wanting to rebuild the transmission but have not found a shop I can trust (locally) yet.

I really believe it is the directional valve causing the issue. I will keep a closer eye on things and see if I can pick up on any signs. I think a pressure tester is a great idea. I'll look into it.

Thanks for your feedback and complement!
YW and also meant to say, welcome to the forum!

In searching around I've found some fluid test gauge sets for checking trans fluid/oil pressure for around $25-$35 but like I said before you can also borrow a loaner from a parts store.

There's a long 4 page FSM procedure for checking hydraulic fluid pressure in the trans. Rather than connecting it to the high pressure line as mentioned before you need to connect the test gauge to the accumlator port in the below diagram for checking the line pressure. Would assume you may have the 42RE and spec for the 42/44RE is 54-60psi in low gear at idle while the high pressure is 90-96psi while driving down the road normally. Some tape the gauge to the drivers mirror since most sets come with a 6' hose. Get one with a 300psi gauge and if you go over 100psi you have too much pressure in the lines.

Bummer about damaging the trans and many would install a jy unit but you never know what you're getting. Still a warranty one where they often install a new front/rear seal would be a possibility.

I was looking in your profile to see what trans you have and noticed everything just says "stock". Fill out the below Jeep form with the last 8 digits of your VIN w/mileage and in the reason for contact box type in "request for build sheet". In a couple days they'll email you back your build sheet which shows exactly what came on your ZJ from the factory. Then you can plug this info into your profile which will help us to help you.

http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/j...ull&category=U

Here's the port diagram mentioned and good luck!
zj-42-44re-trans-test-ports-p.21-13-fsm-500x300.jpg

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.