Transmission Cooler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission Cooler

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 02-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
bmwguy27
2003 WJ 

Transmission Cooler

I have an 03 Grand Cherokee V8 with 50K miles that I will use to tow my race car. Total weight is approximately 5000lbs with the trailer.

I have the class IV hitch and tow package that I think has a tranny cooler but do you suggest I get an upgraded cooler for piece of mind?

I was on the e-trailer site and they are cheap insurance for hot days.

Here is the 4 coolers I have been looking at:
2003*Jeep*Grand Cherokee*Transmission Cooler search with the*Hitch Hunter ™ by etrailer.com (800) 298-8924

Thoughts?

Thank you for the help!

bmwguy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

How to install trans cooler. - JeepsUnlimited.com Forums FROM JU Helps alot.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
baxy

Tru-cool LPD thin transmission coolers: transmissioncoolers.us

TRU_COOL are the only coolers we trust
they are self regulating and provide enogh restriction to properly slow the fluid down
alot of large diameter tube coolers do not slow the fluid down at all and therfore no cooling occurs the only result of installing it is about an extra quart or two oil volume
baxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
bmwguy27
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxy View Post
Tru-cool LPD thin transmission coolers: transmissioncoolers.us

they are self regulating and provide enogh restriction to properly slow the fluid down
alot of large diameter tube coolers do not slow the fluid down at all and therfore no cooling occurs the only result of installing it is about an extra quart or two oil volume
Thanks for the info. Which one do you suggest for my application? Is my jeep 5/16 or 3/8?
bmwguy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Are the GC's with the 4.7l and 3.73 gears rated to tow that much?
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #6
Hexonut
1993 ZJ 

I just scored a beefy trans cooler with a regulated flow design off of a 98 Toyota Land Cruiser V8, the vehicle is wrecked on the passenger side and sitting on our lot for over a year now... (wrote-off)

funny thing is this flagship toyota SUV (of its time) has the wimpiest tow hooks I have ever seen on a vehicle of this weight, surely they are there for the aesthetics factor.
Hexonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #7
RhinofiedZJ
1995 ZJ 

I got a Hayden cooler from advanced auto parts for 55 bucks. Supposedly 18k and it added a good quart to my trans capacity.
Unread 02-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #8
Hexonut
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
who is we ?
Unread 02-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #9
baxy

I work at a transmission shop
the hayden doesn't have a pressure drop so adding fluid is all it does
Unread 02-03-2010, 04:13 AM   #10
Hexonut
1993 ZJ 

duh sorry man, I was thinking you were speaking that this forum only endorses the TRU-COOL...

you're a trans man and Im a tech, we should be good pals
Unread 02-03-2010, 06:49 AM   #11
gamudslinger88
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I work at a transmission shop
the hayden doesn't have a pressure drop so adding fluid is all it does
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexonut View Post
duh sorry man, I was thinking you were speaking that this forum only endorses the TRU-COOL...

you're a trans man and Im a tech, we should be good pals

Too bad yall are so far from Georgia. I need my trans rebuilt like yesterday! I have talked to a few local shops and there a bunch of morons. I had one guy argue with me and say my GC had a 42RH! I told him that if he didnt know what trand was in my truck he shure as hell wasnt touching it. What kind of prices are yall getting for a full rebuild? I talked to MSaine Transmissions and he has very well build trans but I cant swing his prices right now.
gamudslinger88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 07:01 AM   #12
baxy

I have disagreed with guys before (me being wrong) the reason he is disagreeing is becuse trucks didn't get the RE until late 95 or early 96
Unread 02-03-2010, 08:53 AM   #13
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
I have disagreed with guys before (me being wrong) the reason he is disagreeing is becuse trucks didn't get the RE until late 95 or early 96
Yeah but he has a 98, AND a V8. 42RH makes no sense.
Unread 02-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #14
gamudslinger88
1998 ZJ 

Yea I even pulled up up NAGCA tech page with the trans specs and read them off to him and said mine is a 98 5.2 V8 and told him 44RE was the only option in auto trans. He still argued and said "haaha your getting infromation off the internet thats why your wrong". Thats when I told him he aint touchin my Jeep. If he wasnt being a ****y ****** bag I would have maybe considered taking it to them. LOL he even called the 4.0 a V6. Comeone man I understand he is a trans tech and not a engine tech but thats basic nuts and bolts stuff even a oil change monkey should know. Anyway point is I am dealing with some real winners here and I need someone who knows whats going on. Hey Baxy where is Cranbrook and what do yall get for a rebuild?
gamudslinger88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #15
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamudslinger88 View Post
Yea I even pulled up up NAGCA tech page with the trans specs and read them off to him and said mine is a 98 5.2 V8 and told him 44RE was the only option in auto trans. He still argued and said "haaha your getting infromation off the internet thats why your wrong". Thats when I told him he aint touchin my Jeep. If he wasnt being a ****y ****** bag I would have maybe considered taking it to them. LOL he even called the 4.0 a V6. Comeone man I understand he is a trans tech and not a engine tech but thats basic nuts and bolts stuff even a oil change monkey should know. Anyway point is I am dealing with some real winners here and I need someone who knows whats going on. Hey Baxy where is Cranbrook and what do yall get for a rebuild?
This is the only place my stuff gets taken to:

Transmission Repairs on 4x4s & Trucks. Davie, FL

More specifically, Steve. He built the 46RE in my dad's Ram and I've never seen one shift better. $1500 for a complete overhaul, which included a shift kit, new TC, and a cooler. He also built the transmission in my Camaro. $1200 bucks got me a billet input shaft, 2300 stall converter, Kevlar "Z Pack" clutches, Kevlar bands, Corvette servos, high volume pump, and a TransGo shift kit. Depending on where you're at in Georgia, it may not be too far of a drive.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.