Transmission Band Adjustment - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission Band Adjustment

Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 12-15-2009, 01:44 AM   #61
Machine15825
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yes that is a full 360 degrees of the bolt.

Unread 11-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #62
hagsjeep
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the info, all the shops I've talked to about a tranny service said it is not necessary to adjust these, so maybe I'll do it myself.
hagsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #63
shaf

The spec I read said

3-5/8 turns.

Stupidly I assumed this was an english spec where 3-5 means between 3 and 5. So with the medium value being 4 used 4/8 turns or in other words 1/2 a turn.

DOH!

Trust me the thing drive like crap with only 1/2 a turn on the front band.

Shaf
shaf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #64
blazepsi
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaf View Post
The spec I read said

3-5/8 turns.

Stupidly I assumed this was an english spec where 3-5 means between 3 and 5. So with the medium value being 4 used 4/8 turns or in other words 1/2 a turn.

DOH!

Trust me the thing drive like crap with only 1/2 a turn on the front band.

Shaf
Hi, I dont know if your doing this because of transmission shift, but start by adjusting your TV Cable first. It amde a huge difference on mine. Find the sweet spot by driving it around and adjusting it. Good Luck.
blazepsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #65
Darman
1995 ZJ 

I have the 46RE- RH tranny ( i believe .. 95 GC 5.2L v8 orvis). how hard is it to access the front band and what size socket do i need? I have a feeling ill have to order the socket online
also my transmission tends to not engage into 2nd and 3rd gear sometimes. It revs high, around 2500-3000 and then itll engage. If i give it more gas itll usually engage at a higher rpm and itll be a more forceful shift. she has 145000km on her. does this sound like a tv cable problem or the bands?
Darman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #66
Darman
1995 ZJ 

anyone?
Unread 02-22-2011, 03:36 PM   #67
Snakefreex
1995 ZJ 

my new to me gc is having trouble going from 1st to 2nd unless I let off the gas, bought it that way.
it has been ok, but today is been kinda rough not really wanting to shift, been starting out in 2nd and then going into drive manually ..not that i've driven much today...but it does have like 237,000 miles on it maybe something like this will help..been searching the forum for an hour or so for ideas .. you guys rock
Snakefreex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #68
Moshspeso
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakefreex
my new to me gc is having trouble going from 1st to 2nd unless I let off the gas, bought it that way.
it has been ok, but today is been kinda rough not really wanting to shift, been starting out in 2nd and then going into drive manually ..not that i've driven much today...but it does have like 237,000 miles on it maybe something like this will help..been searching the forum for an hour or so for ideas .. you guys rock
Mine does the same thing have a 94 with 4.0 i6. Been searching the forum for a while but haven't found any solutions
Moshspeso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #69
Moshspeso
1996 XJ Cherokee 

If the solution is to rebuild the transmission, is this something I should attempt myself?
Unread 03-13-2011, 12:51 AM   #70
Moshspeso
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I tried to adjust the front band but after tightening the adjustment screw to specs the locknut barely threads on. Anyone know how to fix this or if it's ok?
Unread 05-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #71
Darman
1995 ZJ 

so im currently doing this to my V8 95 ZJ.. a few questions. my pan had a quart gasket on it and then some stupid blue stuff underneath the gasket. is that normal? also, do i have to get the pan perfectly clean along the part that the gasket sits on? im having trouble getting the blue stuff off. what do you torq the filter bolts to and the pan bolts to? where are the bands located? i cant see anything that looks like a band and right now i have the pan off and the gasket off. 1 more thing. in the picture of my magnet, does that look like a lot of metal? sooner the response the better.. i need my jeep tonight!
img_0770.jpg   img_0768.jpg   img_0769.jpg   img_0771.jpg  
Unread 05-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #72
TallyZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darman View Post
so im currently doing this to my V8 95 ZJ.. a few questions. my pan had a cork gasket on it and then some stupid blue stuff underneath the gasket. is that normal? also, do i have to get the pan perfectly clean along the part that the gasket sits on? Im having trouble getting the blue stuff off. what do you torque the filter bolts to and the pan bolts to? where are the bands located? i cant see anything that looks like a band and right now i have the pan off and the gasket off. 1 more thing. in the picture of my magnet, does that look like a lot of metal? sooner the response the better.. i need my jeep tonight!
Yuck! Yeah, you got a bunch of metal shavings in yours. That is as bad as I have personally ever seen.

Anyway, the gasket was held on with blue silicone gasket sealer. Scrape is best as you can is all you can do without a buffer tool with a Roloc disc.

If you are looking for the band adjustment I can't help you on your transmission.

I don't mean to be nasty to you but if you are having trouble with "blue" gasket sealer on the pan then maybe you should leave the band adjustment alone.
TallyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #73
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Might be late , but the best way to remove silicone from a pan is with a wire brush . Manually with a brush is the basics , wire brush on a drill works great , bench grinder with wire wheel is the best .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #74
rlcii77
1998 ZJ 

I literally had an inch or more of sludge/shavings in the bottom of my trans. pan when I first got my ZJ. It was like what ends up in the bottom of you glass of chocolate milk if you use way too much syrup. I couldn't even find the magnet for a while. Obviously my trans. had never ever had it's fluid changed & with 197K miles should be on it's sixth. Needless to say, I had my trans. rebuilt & installed a new torque converter along with it.
rlcii77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2011, 10:10 PM   #75
TallyZJ
1996 ZJ 

I adjusted the front band on my 42re today using nothing more than a 3/4" deep socket, short extension, ratchet and a 5/16" small open end wrench.

I even did it with the transmission in place and did not remove any of the linkages.

Its tight there but it is doable.

I used the 3/4" socket to loosen the jam nut. Holding the band adjustment screw with the 5/16" wrench I backed the jam nut way out. I ran the band adjuster screw in and torqued it, then backed it off 3 1/2 turns. I marked one flat side with white paint marker so I could count the turns.

Using the small wrench again, I held the adjuster screw steady and used my left hand finger to run the jam nut back down till it seated.

I then used the socket to tighten the jam nut. Once the jam nut hits bottom you can tighten it and the adjuster screw will not move.

Shifting between first and second is night and day different now.
TallyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.