Transmission Band Adjustment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission Band Adjustment

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-13-2006, 10:28 AM   #1
Rford

Transmission Band Adjustment

Last week I asked for some guidance on the correct transmission band adjustment on my 1994 GC 42RE transmission. I got a couple of responses and thank those gentlemen. It looks like the "book" adjustment is is 3 5/8 for the front and 4 for the rear. Some sources are different. One source that probably is trustworthy is IPT Transmissions. On their web site, under forums, they recommend 3 for the front, 3 1/2 for the rear.

You'll find other sites that have 2 for the front.

Seems to me that that actual "correct" band adjustment is a little loose on these trannys so if anyone is fretting over a 1/8 of a turn I wouldn't.

Following the IPT site, but not straying too far from the factory manual, I'm going with 3 turns front, 3 1/2 rear to see how that works.

Last edited by Rford; 10-13-2006 at 01:12 PM..
Rford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2006, 11:24 AM   #2
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Do it early in the morning as you may have to run out to the store to buy the correct tool. I could not get to one of the bands, so I left it alone. If my memory is correct you need some type of crows-foot for one of the band bolts.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2006, 12:41 PM   #3
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

not having much experience with trannys, i have a question. If i know my bands havent been adjusted in 8 years at least, how would the performance of my tranny differ if i adjusted them? i know, a stupid question, but thank your for any responses.

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~
Yardman Harry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
Rford

Can't help you there. Mine is a little sluggish engaging when starting out in reverse and a little slow in getting off in first. Seems like I'm carrying a load of bricks and I hope that a fluid change and adjustment will give it a little more pep. But my jeep has 155k on it and this could be as good as it gets. I fugure I can't do too much harm.
Rford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2006, 04:30 PM   #5
zjhitman

Like you guys, I ran into the same problem with my 97 GC with the 44RE. I have both a Chiltons and a Haynes for it and both of them had different numbers for the band adjustments. I called the service manager at the dealer and he transferred my to their transmission guy and I asked him what he used. He had numbers for the front and rear band adjustments that were about 1/2 of the amounts listed in the Chiltons and Haynes. I used his numbers for the adjustments, changed the filter at the same time, put a drain plug in the pan and put it back together. I only did that once, and I don't have the mileage in front of me at the moment, but I think it was somewhere around 75-100K. I have over 250K on it now, and it's still doing o.k. My experience with automatics has taught me that the greater the number of turns out from snug, the slower and softer the shift happens because the piston that is tightening the band has to move further in the bore in the valve body. I think, but don't have hard evidence to back it up, that this slow engagement causes more wear to the bands and friction discs in the clutch packs. After adjusting per the dealer mechanic's specs , mine did shift faster and firmer. Just my 2 cents. If anybody wants those band adjustment specs, I can post them.

Found the specs I used: Front band - 1 1/2 turns out. Rear band - 1 3/4 turns out

Last edited by zjhitman; 10-14-2006 at 08:36 PM..
zjhitman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2006, 04:56 PM   #6
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Rford: I would like to go in and do mine as well, before it gets too cold out. Let me know what final adjustments you decided and if it made any difference.

Hitman: please post your adjustments as well. I might take an average of the FSM, IPT, your settings for a final value

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

Unread 10-14-2006, 06:29 PM   #7
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasefingers
Rford: I would like to go in and do mine as well, before it gets too cold out. Let me know what final adjustments you decided and if it made any difference.

Hitman: please post your adjustments as well. I might take an average of the FSM, IPT, your settings for a final value

my thoughts exactly, thanks for the great info.

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~
Yardman Harry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2006, 06:53 PM   #8
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

When I did my first band adjustment I went with the Haynes manual specs. Wow, the shifting was softer, but very defined. Every time I pulled the pan I did the adjustment. The only special tool I needed was a 15/64's socket for the front band. I know that's not the correct tool, but it worked for me.
Unread 10-14-2006, 07:12 PM   #9
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

There was something in the way on re42 on one of the bands. I cannot remember what is was or what tool I need to coorect for this. But I know for sure that I could not get to one of the bands??

Unread 10-14-2006, 07:15 PM   #10
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Some sort of crows-foot jogs my mind? Maybe an off-set one. Woody are you saying that a regular socket was all you used?

Unread 10-14-2006, 07:17 PM   #11
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

I seem to remember i couldnt adjust one of them as well. One was in a tight area I thought.

edit: I thought they both were inside, but i guess the front is on the outside of the trans. Shows what I remember.

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2006, 07:22 PM   #12
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

This has got me curious now. I will have to rip that pan off to investigate Ö soon.

Unread 10-14-2006, 07:26 PM   #13
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

The one that's hard to adjust is not in the pan, it's on top. It's a pain with all the linkages, you need to disconnect a few things to do it right.

I think I had to move the tranny shifter and T-case shifter tojust the right place.

It's been awhile, I like the 5-speed better.
Unread 10-14-2006, 07:45 PM   #14
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

OK now I remember. The front band is on the outside and at the time I decided to skip it. The rear band is inside the pan and this is the one I adjusted.

From what my brain can process from the FSM (itís been damaged by beer) the bands really donít do a whole lot. The rear one slightly controls the reverse gear and the front one slightly controls second gear shift. The clutches are more important and cannot be adjusted. I guess changing the AFT every 30 k miles is the most important thing that one can do!

Unread 10-14-2006, 07:46 PM   #15
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody

It's been awhile, I like the 5-speed better.
Yep my 1988 2-door Cherokee 5-speed was great

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.