JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Transmission Band Adjustment (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/transmission-band-adjustment-327109/)

Rford 10-13-2006 10:28 AM

Transmission Band Adjustment

Last week I asked for some guidance on the correct transmission band adjustment on my 1994 GC 42RE transmission. I got a couple of responses and thank those gentlemen. It looks like the "book" adjustment is is 3 5/8 for the front and 4 for the rear. Some sources are different. One source that probably is trustworthy is IPT Transmissions. On their web site, under forums, they recommend 3 for the front, 3 1/2 for the rear.

You'll find other sites that have 2 for the front.

Seems to me that that actual "correct" band adjustment is a little loose on these trannys so if anyone is fretting over a 1/8 of a turn I wouldn't.

Following the IPT site, but not straying too far from the factory manual, I'm going with 3 turns front, 3 1/2 rear to see how that works.

greasefingers 10-13-2006 11:24 AM

Do it early in the morning as you may have to run out to the store to buy the correct tool. I could not get to one of the bands, so I left it alone. If my memory is correct you need some type of crows-foot for one of the band bolts.

Yardman Harry 10-13-2006 12:41 PM

not having much experience with trannys, i have a question. If i know my bands havent been adjusted in 8 years at least, how would the performance of my tranny differ if i adjusted them? i know, a stupid question, but thank your for any responses.

Rford 10-13-2006 01:15 PM

Can't help you there. Mine is a little sluggish engaging when starting out in reverse and a little slow in getting off in first. Seems like I'm carrying a load of bricks and I hope that a fluid change and adjustment will give it a little more pep. But my jeep has 155k on it and this could be as good as it gets. I fugure I can't do too much harm.

zjhitman 10-14-2006 04:30 PM

Like you guys, I ran into the same problem with my 97 GC with the 44RE. I have both a Chiltons and a Haynes for it and both of them had different numbers for the band adjustments. I called the service manager at the dealer and he transferred my to their transmission guy and I asked him what he used. He had numbers for the front and rear band adjustments that were about 1/2 of the amounts listed in the Chiltons and Haynes. I used his numbers for the adjustments, changed the filter at the same time, put a drain plug in the pan and put it back together. I only did that once, and I don't have the mileage in front of me at the moment, but I think it was somewhere around 75-100K. I have over 250K on it now, and it's still doing o.k. My experience with automatics has taught me that the greater the number of turns out from snug, the slower and softer the shift happens because the piston that is tightening the band has to move further in the bore in the valve body. I think, but don't have hard evidence to back it up, that this slow engagement causes more wear to the bands and friction discs in the clutch packs. After adjusting per the dealer mechanic's specs , mine did shift faster and firmer. Just my 2 cents. If anybody wants those band adjustment specs, I can post them.

Found the specs I used: Front band - 1 1/2 turns out. Rear band - 1 3/4 turns out

greasefingers 10-14-2006 04:56 PM

Rford: I would like to go in and do mine as well, before it gets too cold out. Let me know what final adjustments you decided and if it made any difference.

Hitman: please post your adjustments as well. I might take an average of the FSM, IPT, your settings for a final value :)

Yardman Harry 10-14-2006 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greasefingers
Rford: I would like to go in and do mine as well, before it gets too cold out. Let me know what final adjustments you decided and if it made any difference.

Hitman: please post your adjustments as well. I might take an average of the FSM, IPT, your settings for a final value :)

my thoughts exactly, thanks for the great info.

Woody 10-14-2006 06:53 PM

When I did my first band adjustment I went with the Haynes manual specs. Wow, the shifting was softer, but very defined. Every time I pulled the pan I did the adjustment. The only special tool I needed was a 15/64's socket for the front band. I know that's not the correct tool, but it worked for me.

greasefingers 10-14-2006 07:12 PM

There was something in the way on re42 on one of the bands. I cannot remember what is was or what tool I need to coorect for this. But I know for sure that I could not get to one of the bands??

greasefingers 10-14-2006 07:15 PM

Some sort of crows-foot jogs my mind? Maybe an off-set one. Woody are you saying that a regular socket was all you used?

-Joe- 10-14-2006 07:17 PM

I seem to remember i couldnt adjust one of them as well. One was in a tight area I thought.

edit: I thought they both were inside, but i guess the front is on the outside of the trans. Shows what I remember.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2..._jls/bands.jpg

greasefingers 10-14-2006 07:22 PM

This has got me curious now. I will have to rip that pan off to investigate Ö soon.

Woody 10-14-2006 07:26 PM

The one that's hard to adjust is not in the pan, it's on top. It's a pain with all the linkages, you need to disconnect a few things to do it right.

I think I had to move the tranny shifter and T-case shifter tojust the right place.

It's been awhile, I like the 5-speed better.

greasefingers 10-14-2006 07:45 PM

OK now I remember. The front band is on the outside and at the time I decided to skip it. The rear band is inside the pan and this is the one I adjusted.

From what my brain can process from the FSM (itís been damaged by beer) the bands really donít do a whole lot. The rear one slightly controls the reverse gear and the front one slightly controls second gear shift. The clutches are more important and cannot be adjusted. I guess changing the AFT every 30 k miles is the most important thing that one can do!

greasefingers 10-14-2006 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody

It's been awhile, I like the 5-speed better.

Yep my 1988 2-door Cherokee 5-speed was great :thumbsup:

The time now is 06:02 AM.