transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > transmission

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-24-2003, 05:13 PM   #1
kocka80

transmission

Hi everyone

I have a 96 GC and my problem is that the transmission sometimes does not switch between ( i think) 3rd and 4th.The only way is to switch then is to put it back to neutral and then back to drive then it shift to 4th . Is anyone have any idea what this is could be?Im new to this car , just bought it a few weeks ago. I apresiate every answer and thank you all in advance.
sorry about thje english.

kocka80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2003, 05:56 PM   #2
JAURS

I had a similar problem with my GC, but I never had to put it in neutral to get it to shift into 4th. My shift cable in the transmission was adjusted and the fluid changed and this solved the problem, however I now have a new problem with 4th gear, but this is another story. How many miles are on your GC and do you know if the previous owner's ever flushed the transmission or serviced it?
JAURS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2003, 06:35 PM   #3
kocka80

I have 162000 miles in mine.and I bought it from a smalldealer
I think the atf was changed becouse i looked under the car and the transmission oilpan is superclean compare to the rest of the trans. also I noticed that the front driveshaft is missing(suppose to be a 4x4)of course they told me that i took it out to get an other one .stupid thinking .but anyway thank you for the reply
also do u know how to reset the mile service ? I also had to change the coolant temp sensor but the screen says that the coolant sensor is bad I guess need to reset that one too
kocka80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2003, 07:11 PM   #4
JAURS

I'm not positive, but I believe to set the service indicator you press select until the mileage until service screen appears and then you hold set and it will flash or beep and reset to 3000 miles. I'll double check tomorrow to see if this is the correct way of doing it. Good luck with the transmission problem, maybe reseting the computer or something along that line will solve the problem.
JAURS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.