Transmission 42RE - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission 42RE

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 07-02-2004, 10:00 AM   #1
DuneCrawler

Transmission 42RE

According to the manual on a '98 JGC 4.0L I6 with 42RE tranny, you should check the ATF in park while idling. The dip-stick indicates to check it in Neutral. It makes a BIG differance on the level, which is correct?

DuneCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2004, 11:34 AM   #2
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

I asked the service mamager about this. He stated that it should be checked in neutral, at least for my 94ZJ. I noticed that it reads high if I check it in Park.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2004, 11:45 AM   #3
Dalmask

Neutral's always been right in my experience. Park definitely gives a much higher level than neutral on the dipstick.

-Dal
Dalmask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2004, 11:50 AM   #4
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfc
According to the manual on a '98 JGC 4.0L I6 with 42RE tranny, you should check the ATF in park while idling. The dip-stick indicates to check it in Neutral. It makes a BIG differance on the level, which is correct?
My 97 manual sez neutral.
Doug
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.