Transmission?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission??

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 07-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
BlazeB
1995 ZJ 

Transmission??

Hello I recently bought a 1995 jeep grand cherokee laredo and iv notice that when I put it into drive it dosnt move, when I push on the gas pedal it revs up and then suddely kicks in(happens when I also put it into reverse).I was wondering if this is my transmission and how would I fix this. I have checked the transmission fuild to make sure it was good(it was red) didnt smell burnt. If you can help me it would be great. Thanks

BlazeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

I am assuming you checked the atf level in neutral with the engine running and warmed up?

If so, and the level is good, I'd first look at the shift linkage, then I'd drain the fluid, then install a new filter, gasket and atf + 4. See if that helps.
Other than that, I can only speculate whether it's related to the pressure solenoid or the pump is going out, since I'm not an auto tranny guy. Some here are, though.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
ajmorell

Check the fluid as described above. It sounds like a low fluid issue to me.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
BlazeB
1995 ZJ 

When I checked the fluid the engine was warmed up and running but it was in park, so I will try it as described. I will also look at the shift linkage, Ill go to napa auto parts tomorrow and get a filter and gasket and see if that helps, I was also told it might be my band adjustments so ill see about that to. I will post again tomorrow about if it worked or not, Thanks
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
woodyvw9
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeB View Post
When I checked the fluid the engine was warmed up and running but it was in park, so I will try it as described. I will also look at the shift linkage, Ill go to napa auto parts tomorrow and get a filter and gasket and see if that helps, I was also told it might be my band adjustments so ill see about that to. I will post again tomorrow about if it worked or not, Thanks
My 93 with 232K just did this on Saturday. I followed advice from the forum and been reading through stickies. I changed the fluid and filter yesterday and the thing is back to normal (except a random reverse stalling in which I am going to try to clean the IAC and see where that gets me).

But after the fluid/filter change it seems to be going fine again. I don't know how ofter people are changing the fluid, I checked the paperwork I got with the Jeep from the PO (1st owner, saved everything) and it was last done in 2007 at 161K so it was probably due.
woodyvw9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
BlazeB
1995 ZJ 

Sorry for such a long wait, I did both bands and did the fuild and filter changed but it hasnt changed a thing. I did it exacly as described. Anybody have any other guesses what might be wrong? And again sorry for such a long wait for the post back.
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

I'm having an issue in my trans that just started today, it's one of the solenoids in it. In my case, it's not letting the trans downshift into 1st on its own, so I have to manually shift into 1st until my master kit arrives. You may have a similar failure, but with a different electronic component. There are trans pros here, but it seems they haven't arrived yet.
I hate to say it, but there's also the possibility that a clutch pack or a drum may be bad.
Unread 08-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
BlazeB
1995 ZJ 

Actually mine is almost the same problem, when I try to drive onto my ramps, it wont let it downshift into first, I also have to shift it into first and it works, also when I am driving and I go from park to drive and press the gas peddal it goes but not as it should, then it makes kind of like a cluck noise and it kicks in but it sounds and feels like a hard clunk. Sorry if this dosnt make any sense, I am kind of a noob.
Unread 08-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Hmm... Sounds like the issue that my NEW transmission from Transdepot.net is having. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR
eagsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

If you feel that the trans is fine, but the solenoids are shot, this is the kit I just ordered: http://www.cascadetransmissionparts....cekit9697.aspx
I found this site through another thread on this forum. I can't find the thread I saw it in, so I can't give credit to the original poster since I don't know who it is.
200 bucks is pricey, but I priced 2 of the parts on rock auto and it came up to 125 bucks. I figured that for another 75 I can replace all the electronics with new upgraded stuff.
Unread 08-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #11
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Mine is a Completely New - Rebuilt unit. I.E. Supposed to have New Everything except the Outer case. Luckily, there IS a Unl Mileage 2 yr warranty that I'll be taking advantage of this week ~ The Mechanic at the shop thought it was a stuck valve, but could be the solonoid as well...

I just WANT mine to work right again.
eagsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Wasn't there a TSB or some such thing for fluid draining from the torque converter? The symptoms were delayed 1st and reverse engagement and I think the solution was to install a check valve in one of the cooler lines.

If you put it in neutral first and let it sit for a minute does it engage 1st or reverse immediately? While it's idling in neutral supposedly you can hear/feel the engine slow a little when the converter fills.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #13
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
Wasn't there a TSB or some such thing for fluid draining from the torque converter? The symptoms were delayed 1st and reverse engagement and I think the solution was to install a check valve in one of the cooler lines.

If you put it in neutral first and let it sit for a minute does it engage 1st or reverse immediately? While it's idling in neutral supposedly you can hear/feel the engine slow a little when the converter fills.
For mine, it dosen't engage immediately after sitting in N. I will listen for sounds of fluid filling, but the old one did sound like it was filling when i start it up in the 'morning'. I assumed that was normal.

Out Jeepin, usin the Mobile App

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.