Transmisison Shutter after filter change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmisison Shutter after filter change

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-25-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
argos587
1993 ZJ 

Transmisison Shutter after filter change

'93 ZJ - Replaced transmission fluid and filter(foamy/spongy type that mounts with 3 screws, not metal covered filter). Now there is a shutter from the transmission when shifting into drive, but only the initial drive of the day. Rest of the day no shutter from any gear. Any ideas?

argos587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

the 42re is very picky about fluid level and hard to get a good reading on the stick. you have to get the vehicle where its dead level and the fluid is warm, then check in neutral while idling. you dont want the reading to be over the top hash marked area on the stick, but as close to full as possible.

I prefer to check mine when has been on the highway for 30 minutes.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
neonhomer
1996 ZJ 

Funny, mine is not picky about fluid level, but fluid TYPE.... You HAVE to use +3 or +4, (Mopar 7176). If you use Dexron/Mercon, it can cause shuddering and chattering in the clutch packs.
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0L/42RE/242 - Rebuilt motor w/ Comp cam (4/12), 3.5" Junkyard F>R lift, 31x10.5.x15 M/T's, Spartan Locked D44a, TC & tank skids, F&R adj trackbars, V8 steering arms
Galaxy DX99V CB, 102" SS Whip, Yaesu FT-2900R 2m, Larsen 1/4w mag mount, Sony HU, Massive 3way - F Door, Pioneer 3way - R Doors, MB Quart ONX304 Subs (x2), Lanzar 1600w amp.

"No Matter Where You Go... There You Are."
"Oh me oh my a lovely day is dawning. Oh what a joy I didn't wake up dead. So I can go to work and then resume my yawning, and get my sleep on site instead of in my bed" - Daria Morgendorffer (with my twist)
neonhomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.