Transfer linkage???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer linkage????

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 02-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
chiefjohnston
1996 ZJ 

Transfer linkage????

I just had back surgery and I have my 17 year old son under my jeep to see if he can find out why my transfer shifter doesn't seem to operate anything. It seems that when we replaced the engine the transfer linkage popped out of the pivot bracket on the tunnel, (body side). I see that it is held on with what appeared to be four nuts, but they look like they are tack welded to the bracket, leading me to think that the bolts come through the tunnel from the interior? That means I will have to access them by removing the carpet between the driver's seat and the center console.
If this is accurate, can someone please let me know? My only other idea is to remove the trans mount and slide trans / transfer to the right far enough to get the linkage back in???

chiefjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
98Yeti
1998 ZJ 

Correct. I believe they are 10mm bolts that are in the passenger compartment/drivers side that fasten that bracket to the tunnel. Be careful to hold the female part of the fasteners in place so they don't turn when removing the bolts. I found out the hard way that it will destroy the rubber on them if they turn.
98Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.