Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242 - Page 99 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #1471
ghatid
1998 ZJ 

So I am waiting to find a 242 shift tab, but my Jeep still makes a noise that I'm guessing is coming from the tcase, though I can't be sure.

The car makes no obviously bad noises until I reach 35mph, then there's a vibration noise that sounds speed dependent that doesn't go away again until I get all the way down to ~2mph or if I put the car in Neutral. Does anyone know what that could be? I removed my from drive shaft as per someone else's suggestion, but it didn't help.

ghatid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #1472
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Yeah, I made sure the shaft spun when turning the driveshaft yoke before I loaded it up lol. Also moved the shift selector to make sure nothing was bound up.

Awesome, looks like I'll freshen up the seals and toss 'er in this weekend.

Even better was I spotted it just laying on the ground next to the donor vehicle when I was there this past weekend. No getting dirty for this guy!
Ha. I got mine the same way when I picked up my 242. I have yet to do the swap yet. It's been sitting in my garage for a year now...
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #1473
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Ok, so I was getting my 242 cleaned up and ready for new seals before swapping it in this weekend. I noticed something that kind of concerns me, I can turn the two driveshaft outputs independent of each other, regardless of shift selector position. I can turn either output individually and it will spin the other one, albeit very slowly.

Is this normal?

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #1474
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

If it's in 2wd, 4FT or Neutral (positions 1, 3, 4), that's normal. In 4PT or 4LO (positions 2, 5), they should be locked together.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #1475
ghatid
1998 ZJ 

Okay, so I tried figuring out where the sound is coming from exactly, so I put it on 2wd, jacked it up, and had someone run it while I took a video.

The sound is definitely coming from the transfer case.

Any idea what it is?
Unread 01-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #1476
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
If it's in 2wd, 4FT or Neutral (positions 1, 3, 4), that's normal. In 4PT or 4LO (positions 2, 5), they should be locked together.
Hmmm...ok, I'll have to verify each position again tomorrow.

I assume is the shift tab is all the way towards the front of the t-case that would be 4Lo?

Unread 01-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #1477
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

I think all the way forward is 2wd, I'm not sure though.
Unread 01-25-2013, 01:02 AM   #1478
ghatid
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Hmmm...ok, I'll have to verify each position again tomorrow.

I assume is the shift tab is all the way towards the front of the t-case that would be 4Lo?
I think if you start at the most CW position, that's 4Lo, then N, 4FT, 4PT, and 2wd is the most CCW position. Not quite sure what you mean towards the front.
Unread 01-25-2013, 05:49 AM   #1479
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghatid View Post
Okay, so I tried figuring out where the sound is coming from exactly, so I put it on 2wd, jacked it up, and had someone run it while I took a video.

The sound is definitely coming from the transfer case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7qTxDuj7z8

Any idea what it is?
Sounds like really bad bearings, no fluid, or a bad planetary set.

I'm on my phone and its inconvenient to look back while typing a post. What year case is that? Input swap?

Edit: looking back, you've got a bad case and it needs the rest of the rebuild. Chain, bearings, seals, etc. Verify year by the tag.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2013, 06:25 AM   #1480
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghatid View Post

Not quite sure what you mean towards the front.
I was referring to the front of the t-case as in the same side the front driveshaft attaches to. Thanks for clearing that up for me, I'll check it out today after work.

Unread 01-25-2013, 06:44 AM   #1481
zarnold
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples

I was referring to the front of the t-case as in the same side the front driveshaft attaches to. Thanks for clearing that up for me, I'll check it out today after work.
That is correct. 2wd is the first position towards the front, 4lo is the last position towards the back (closest to the case).
zarnold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #1482
ghatid
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
Sounds like really bad bearings, no fluid, or a bad planetary set.

I'm on my phone and its inconvenient to look back while typing a post. What year case is that? Input swap?

Edit: looking back, you've got a bad case and it needs the rest of the rebuild. Chain, bearings, seals, etc. Verify year by the tag.
Do you think it could be the planetary set? There was more play than I would expect when I took it apart, but it didn't seem like the gears were worn. Are they made with quite a bit of play?

I'm perfectly happy to do the rebuild, I just want to make sure it's not something like the planetary set or a worn gear that's catching up to itself. When I looked, there were no teeth missing or anything.

The tcase is a 97 242, I didn't need to switch inputs, but I did anyways since the 249 had a nicer one.
Unread 01-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #1483
98GCLimited
1998 ZJ 

I have a quick question for you guys. I had been looking into 242s but I just found a 231 for a decent price that I could get.

I have a 98 4.0 42re and 249 stock. I have a .840" input on my 249 case.

The 231 is out of a 93-94 ZJ with 4.0 42re and the thread says .840" inputs on these cases as well and looks like it in the picture to me too.

If both cases are ISY and have the 23 spline .840" input would it be a direct swap into my ZJ? (Not requiring driveshaft shortening or input, front case half, and planetary gear swap.)

If the inputs are the same length and spline counts the same on both tcases, but turned out to be earlier gear cut would it even matter to me? Would I need to swap the inputs, front case and planetarys for length and spline counts? Or is there some other issue with the gear cuts I dont know about? Im under the impression you would only need to swap the front case half and planetarys when you need to swap the input over between cases with different gear cuts. Is this correct?

I know all these questions probably have been asked and answered in this thread already but I am looking for a quick answer from the knowledgable members here.

Thanks

edit: ok I found this but am confused on what the collar is this is referring to

"One other issue I've run into: 93-95 ZJ 231 and 242's with the .840 input have a metal collar pressed into the input shaft that mates to the bevel at the end of the transmission output shaft. 96+ transmissions do not have this bevel, meaning it is required to remove the input and either swap it, or you can easily take a deep well socket and tap the collar out along with the main shaft bearing. Reinstall the main shaft bearing into the input, making sure it is fully seated and that is the extent of the fix."
98GCLimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #1484
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

If the inputs are the same length, you shouldn't need to swap it.
Unread 01-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #1485
98GCLimited
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
If the inputs are the same length, you shouldn't need to swap it.
Thanks man I just went for it and bought it.

Worst case scenario I need to swap inputs, planetarys, and front case half and adjust rear driveshaft length but thinking it could possibly be a direct bolt in which would be sweet.
98GCLimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.