Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242 - Page 93 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 12-10-2012, 01:27 AM   #1381
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

I'm about to start this same project myself and want to make it a 1 day project, my Jeep is my DD and I cant afford any downtime screwing around with taking my stock parts in to have them modded. I currently have a 249 with an ISY and the 98 GC 242 I picked up is ESY, does anyone who's done this swap know exactly how much had to be removed from the stock 249 D/S to make it work?

Unread 12-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #1382
airwolf9090
1996 ZJ 

To tell the truth finding a 242 ESY drive shaft is not that hard, the problem is 90%+ of them are damaged because most Junk yards pick up the Jeeps from the side hitting the driveshaft and bending them. and its a crap shoot because half the places want to charge $100+ for a Jeep driveshaft and the other half will only charge about $25...
Unread 12-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #1383
zarnold
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachjf View Post
I'm about to start this same project myself and want to make it a 1 day project, my Jeep is my DD and I cant afford any downtime screwing around with taking my stock parts in to have them modded. I currently have a 249 with an ISY and the 98 GC 242 I picked up is ESY, does anyone who's done this swap know exactly how much had to be removed from the stock 249 D/S to make it work?
I'm waiting on u-joints, as soon as I get them I'll let you know.
zarnold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #1384
papitt
1995 ZJ 

...Only 93 pages into the article and I'm going to subscribe so I can come back If I don't like this 279 i have .
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #1385
Sclay115
1996 ZJ 

I wanted to throw one more question out there. I was checking out underneath my currently 249'ed 96 ZJ, and I noticed that the actual tail housing seems a fair bit shorter than what I see on the internal slip yoke 242's. I know from the beginning of this thread that the lengths were all stated to roughly the same, so is the 249 case itself(not including the yoke housing) longer than the 242? I suppose this would make sense, more guts in the 249. I will include some photos so this isn't too terribly confusing.

Attached are the photos. Then again, now that I actually look at them back to back. It seems pretty clear were the need for the shorter tailshaft housing comes from in regards to the 249. Seems there is a fair bit more material behind the case itself, if I remember correctly, this is where the actual VC lives right?

Steve
3g53ie3f35i45g85x0cca068d9f293cfb1bbb.jpg   3fc3l33jd5ga5ka5h9ccb4a7f854bdb8819cb.jpg  
Sclay115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #1386
Coog
1999 ZJ 

Hi mate,

Here's a 249 (left) and early old gear cut 242 (right) side by side. They're both the same/similar overall length. The reason why the 249 looks different is because I believe the viscous coupler is contained in the nose cone.

My ZJ rear driveshaft and standard front driveshaft both bolted up without modification.

HTH
Coog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #1387
zarnold
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sclay115 View Post
I wanted to throw one more question out there. I was checking out underneath my currently 249'ed 96 ZJ, and I noticed that the actual tail housing seems a fair bit shorter than what I see on the internal slip yoke 242's. I know from the beginning of this thread that the lengths were all stated to roughly the same, so is the 249 case itself(not including the yoke housing) longer than the 242? I suppose this would make sense, more guts in the 249. I will include some photos so this isn't too terribly confusing.

Attached are the photos. Then again, now that I actually look at them back to back. It seems pretty clear were the need for the shorter tailshaft housing comes from in regards to the 249. Seems there is a fair bit more material behind the case itself, if I remember correctly, this is where the actual VC lives right?

Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coog View Post
Hi mate,

Here's a 249 (left) and early old gear cut 242 (right) side by side. They're both the same/similar overall length. The reason why the 249 looks different is because I believe the viscous coupler is contained in the nose cone.

My ZJ rear driveshaft and standard front driveshaft both bolted up without modification.

HTH
Nope, VC lives in the case. A couple of things in the tail piece are the oil pump, and the speedometer gear.

Took a better look at this, VC does in fact live in the tail piece, at lease partially.
Unread 12-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #1388
Sclay115
1996 ZJ 

Awesome. Thanks for the side by side photos and the added info. Makes it far easier to see them literally side by side to get an idea of the size.

Much appreciated!

Steve
Unread 12-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #1389
eflores
1989 XJ Cherokee 

just finished mine,
95XJ ESY 242 into
98ZJ 5.9 249 ISY

with 2.5" of lift and 1" of rear stretch i didnt have to mod any thing. yokes shafts nothing.

launching in 2wd against the stall is amazingly fun

Leaky sunroofed XJ member #1
The United States of America July 4, 1776 - November 4, 2008 RIP
eflores is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #1390
Sclay115
1996 ZJ 

Another detail question here.

I seem to be having a hard time finding an ISY 242, and I am wondering if the case that is in my Jeep now is correct. Are all 249's ISY? I seem to find a 242 case for my 96, but it is external. Does anyone on here have the information for when the 242's went to an ESY?

And to confirm everything is gravy in my Jeep before I start. Does anyone have the yoke to yoke measurements of the rear driveshaft for an ESY transfer case equipped ZJ and an ISY one as well?

Steve
Unread 12-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #1391
zarnold
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachjf View Post
My 242 donor came from a 96 GC with a 4.0L

My stock rear driveshaft was 34.5 inches (center-line to center-line on u-joint cross), about an 1 inch to long. I wanted it shortened 1.25 inches, but it ended up being shortened by 1.375 (not really sure why).

Anyway, my new driveshaft length is 33.125, and works fine.
Unread 12-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #1392
mandrews000
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarnold

My stock rear driveshaft was 34.5 inches (center-line to center-line on u-joint cross), about an 1 inch to long. I wanted it shortened 1.25 inches, but it ended up being shortened by 1.375 (not really sure why).

I also had the same situation. I had my rear shaft shortened exactly 1.25 so now the ISY ends right where the splines end on the ESY. With it at full length and the dust boot installed and clamped there was no space for compressing. Now it's about 1.125 of possible compression with the boot and clamp installed.
image-3752349862.jpg  
mandrews000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 01:36 AM   #1393
Sclay115
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarnold View Post

That's interesting, I wonder then when the exact cutoff was for the change. Or if maybe there was a mid year switch or something. Just seems very odd that it is like finding hen's teeth out here.

The search continues. Then again, if I can find a cheap ESY unit, I will just find a driveshaft to shorten.

I suppose, in the long run, a ESY would be more advantageous anyways, as from what I gather, if you nuke your rear shaft, you could still move the vehicle(slowly) without puking all of the fluid from the case onto the ground.

Right?
Unread 12-16-2012, 07:21 AM   #1394
mandrews000
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sclay115

That's interesting, I wonder then when the exact cutoff was for the change. Or if maybe there was a mid year switch or something. Just seems very odd that it is like finding hen's teeth out here.

The search continues. Then again, if I can find a cheap ESY unit, I will just find a driveshaft to shorten.

I suppose, in the long run, a ESY would be more advantageous anyways, as from what I gather, if you nuke your rear shaft, you could still move the vehicle(slowly) without puking all of the fluid from the case onto the ground.

Right?
There's an ISY 231 for sale on nc4x4 for 75, I think it said it was out of an xj... Actually I think if you put the esy 242 in part time or low you could operate without rear shaft, I think it would hop like a bad VC on turns though.

Edit: my ESY 242 came out of a 97 4.0, and I know the my "old" 98 4.0 was also ESY...
mandrews000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #1395
Wulff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarnold View Post
I have the same scenairo, 1/2 inch is not enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcjeeping View Post
LOL. This has to go into somes sig.
LOL, this is the perfect time to add the over-used cliche "THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!"
Wulff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.