Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242 - Page 93 - JeepForum.com

 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1381 of 3109 Old 12-10-2012, 12:27 AM
zachjf
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,066
I'm about to start this same project myself and want to make it a 1 day project, my Jeep is my DD and I cant afford any downtime screwing around with taking my stock parts in to have them modded. I currently have a 249 with an ISY and the 98 GC 242 I picked up is ESY, does anyone who's done this swap know exactly how much had to be removed from the stock 249 D/S to make it work?


Needs parts?
PM Kolak or kolak@kolakperformance.com
zachjf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1382 of 3109 Old 12-10-2012, 03:14 PM
airwolf9090
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Clyo
Posts: 571
To tell the truth finding a 242 ESY drive shaft is not that hard, the problem is 90%+ of them are damaged because most Junk yards pick up the Jeeps from the side hitting the driveshaft and bending them. and its a crap shoot because half the places want to charge $100+ for a Jeep driveshaft and the other half will only charge about $25...

1996 Jeep ZJ Orvis
airwolf9090 is offline  
post #1383 of 3109 Old 12-10-2012, 06:37 PM
zarnold
Member
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Park Ridge
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachjf View Post
I'm about to start this same project myself and want to make it a 1 day project, my Jeep is my DD and I cant afford any downtime screwing around with taking my stock parts in to have them modded. I currently have a 249 with an ISY and the 98 GC 242 I picked up is ESY, does anyone who's done this swap know exactly how much had to be removed from the stock 249 D/S to make it work?
I'm waiting on u-joints, as soon as I get them I'll let you know.
zarnold is offline  
post #1384 of 3109 Old 12-11-2012, 09:03 PM
papitt
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Stephenville Texas 76401
Posts: 747
...Only 93 pages into the article and I'm going to subscribe so I can come back If I don't like this 279 i have .
papitt is offline  
post #1385 of 3109 Old 12-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Sclay115
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 91
I wanted to throw one more question out there. I was checking out underneath my currently 249'ed 96 ZJ, and I noticed that the actual tail housing seems a fair bit shorter than what I see on the internal slip yoke 242's. I know from the beginning of this thread that the lengths were all stated to roughly the same, so is the 249 case itself(not including the yoke housing) longer than the 242? I suppose this would make sense, more guts in the 249. I will include some photos so this isn't too terribly confusing.


Attached are the photos. Then again, now that I actually look at them back to back. It seems pretty clear were the need for the shorter tailshaft housing comes from in regards to the 249. Seems there is a fair bit more material behind the case itself, if I remember correctly, this is where the actual VC lives right?

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
3G53Ie3F35I45G85X0cca068d9f293cfb1bbb.jpg   3Fc3L33Jd5Ga5Ka5H9ccb4a7f854bdb8819cb.jpg  
Sclay115 is offline  
post #1386 of 3109 Old 12-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Coog
Registered User
1999 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Belfast
Posts: 20
Hi mate,

Here's a 249 (left) and early old gear cut 242 (right) side by side. They're both the same/similar overall length. The reason why the 249 looks different is because I believe the viscous coupler is contained in the nose cone.



My ZJ rear driveshaft and standard front driveshaft both bolted up without modification.

HTH
Coog is offline  
post #1387 of 3109 Old 12-14-2012, 10:34 AM
zarnold
Member
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Park Ridge
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sclay115 View Post
I wanted to throw one more question out there. I was checking out underneath my currently 249'ed 96 ZJ, and I noticed that the actual tail housing seems a fair bit shorter than what I see on the internal slip yoke 242's. I know from the beginning of this thread that the lengths were all stated to roughly the same, so is the 249 case itself(not including the yoke housing) longer than the 242? I suppose this would make sense, more guts in the 249. I will include some photos so this isn't too terribly confusing.


Attached are the photos. Then again, now that I actually look at them back to back. It seems pretty clear were the need for the shorter tailshaft housing comes from in regards to the 249. Seems there is a fair bit more material behind the case itself, if I remember correctly, this is where the actual VC lives right?

Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coog View Post
Hi mate,

Here's a 249 (left) and early old gear cut 242 (right) side by side. They're both the same/similar overall length. The reason why the 249 looks different is because I believe the viscous coupler is contained in the nose cone.



My ZJ rear driveshaft and standard front driveshaft both bolted up without modification.

HTH
Nope, VC lives in the case. A couple of things in the tail piece are the oil pump, and the speedometer gear.

Took a better look at this, VC does in fact live in the tail piece, at lease partially.
zarnold is offline  
post #1388 of 3109 Old 12-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Sclay115
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 91
Awesome. Thanks for the side by side photos and the added info. Makes it far easier to see them literally side by side to get an idea of the size.

Much appreciated!

Steve
Sclay115 is offline  
post #1389 of 3109 Old 12-14-2012, 10:05 PM
eflores
Registered User
1989 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Crawlorado Springs/Wichita Falls
Posts: 857
just finished mine,
95XJ ESY 242 into
98ZJ 5.9 249 ISY

with 2.5" of lift and 1" of rear stretch i didnt have to mod any thing. yokes shafts nothing.

launching in 2wd against the stall is amazingly fun

AEKDB

Leaky sunroofed XJ member #1
The United States of America July 4, 1776 - November 4, 2008 RIP
eflores is offline  
post #1390 of 3109 Old 12-15-2012, 04:57 PM
Sclay115
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 91
Another detail question here.

I seem to be having a hard time finding an ISY 242, and I am wondering if the case that is in my Jeep now is correct. Are all 249's ISY? I seem to find a 242 case for my 96, but it is external. Does anyone on here have the information for when the 242's went to an ESY?

And to confirm everything is gravy in my Jeep before I start. Does anyone have the yoke to yoke measurements of the rear driveshaft for an ESY transfer case equipped ZJ and an ISY one as well?

Steve
Sclay115 is offline  
post #1391 of 3109 Old 12-15-2012, 05:02 PM
zarnold
Member
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Park Ridge
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachjf View Post
I'm about to start this same project myself and want to make it a 1 day project, my Jeep is my DD and I cant afford any downtime screwing around with taking my stock parts in to have them modded. I currently have a 249 with an ISY and the 98 GC 242 I picked up is ESY, does anyone who's done this swap know exactly how much had to be removed from the stock 249 D/S to make it work?
My 242 donor came from a 96 GC with a 4.0L

My stock rear driveshaft was 34.5 inches (center-line to center-line on u-joint cross), about an 1 inch to long. I wanted it shortened 1.25 inches, but it ended up being shortened by 1.375 (not really sure why).

Anyway, my new driveshaft length is 33.125, and works fine.
zarnold is offline  
post #1392 of 3109 Old 12-15-2012, 05:30 PM
mandrews000
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarnold

My 242 donor came from a 96 GC with a 4.0L

My stock rear driveshaft was 34.5 inches (center-line to center-line on u-joint cross), about an 1 inch to long. I wanted it shortened 1.25 inches, but it ended up being shortened by 1.375 (not really sure why).

Anyway, my new driveshaft length is 33.125, and works fine.
I also had the same situation. I had my rear shaft shortened exactly 1.25 so now the ISY ends right where the splines end on the ESY. With it at full length and the dust boot installed and clamped there was no space for compressing. Now it's about 1.125 of possible compression with the boot and clamp installed.
Attached Thumbnails
image-3752349862.jpg  
mandrews000 is offline  
post #1393 of 3109 Old 12-16-2012, 12:36 AM
Sclay115
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarnold View Post
My 242 donor came from a 96 GC with a 4.0L

My stock rear driveshaft was 34.5 inches (center-line to center-line on u-joint cross), about an 1 inch to long. I wanted it shortened 1.25 inches, but it ended up being shortened by 1.375 (not really sure why).

Anyway, my new driveshaft length is 33.125, and works fine.
That's interesting, I wonder then when the exact cutoff was for the change. Or if maybe there was a mid year switch or something. Just seems very odd that it is like finding hen's teeth out here.

The search continues. Then again, if I can find a cheap ESY unit, I will just find a driveshaft to shorten.

I suppose, in the long run, a ESY would be more advantageous anyways, as from what I gather, if you nuke your rear shaft, you could still move the vehicle(slowly) without puking all of the fluid from the case onto the ground.

Right?
Sclay115 is offline  
post #1394 of 3109 Old 12-16-2012, 06:21 AM
mandrews000
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sclay115

That's interesting, I wonder then when the exact cutoff was for the change. Or if maybe there was a mid year switch or something. Just seems very odd that it is like finding hen's teeth out here.

The search continues. Then again, if I can find a cheap ESY unit, I will just find a driveshaft to shorten.

I suppose, in the long run, a ESY would be more advantageous anyways, as from what I gather, if you nuke your rear shaft, you could still move the vehicle(slowly) without puking all of the fluid from the case onto the ground.

Right?
There's an ISY 231 for sale on nc4x4 for 75, I think it said it was out of an xj... Actually I think if you put the esy 242 in part time or low you could operate without rear shaft, I think it would hop like a bad VC on turns though.

Edit: my ESY 242 came out of a 97 4.0, and I know the my "old" 98 4.0 was also ESY...
mandrews000 is offline  
post #1395 of 3109 Old 12-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Wulff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mesa
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarnold View Post
I have the same scenairo, 1/2 inch is not enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcjeeping View Post
LOL. This has to go into somes sig.
LOL, this is the perfect time to add the over-used cliche "THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!"
Wulff is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
NP231 vs. NP242 vs. NP249 offroader156 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 28 06-12-2016 07:40 PM
NP249 to NV249 Transfer case swap CDRFunkmeyer ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 8 10-30-2009 12:39 PM
NP249 T-case dying & want to swap to a NP242 or NP231 IMin4Low ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 15 10-02-2009 04:01 AM
UK NP249 Transfer Case Swap (+ PICS) UK Cherry ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 4 07-12-2009 06:09 AM
NP249 to NP242 SWAP tb007 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 2 11-30-2004 11:50 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome