Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242 - Page 91 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transfer Case Swap Info NP249->NP231 & NP242

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #1351
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

could probably swap on an earlier housing

dnuccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 01:32 AM   #1352
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulff View Post
This is not as easy as it seems, I am a Journeyman toolmaker and this casting would need more than a simple hole saw, it would have to be set up in a vertical mill and using a boring head machined out. The tricky part would be trying to find out the exact location so the gears mesh properly. Second the sealing wouldn't be there and it would leak oil like crazy.
Actually it wont be as bad as all that. I can use a caliper to get the exact inside measurements of the speedo hole on my current tailshaft housing and just have my machine shop bore it out on their CNC machine. There is a small hole drilled inside the case that the very end of the speedo gear fits into that lines the speedo gear up with the mainshaft as well as supports the end of it, you can see how it works in this pic. Red arrow is the end support for the speedo gear, yellow arrow is how it all lines up with the teeth on the mainshaft.

Even if everything conspires against me and I cant make it work I'll just pick up a Tom Woods SYE kit for a 242 with the speedo sensor and swap that in. I can pick up low mileage WJ 242's all day long so even with the cost of the SYE kit I'm still getting a newer, lower mileage case that'll fit my Jeep and not get wallet raped in the process.
Unread 11-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #1353
MrShaft696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcoy View Post
So I just picked up a 98 zj 5.9 with a bad transfer case, what better time to swap. What year and style of jeep would be an ideal doner, 242 or 231 doesnt matter to me I just want 2wd for better mpgs since this will be my everyday driver. Thanks and sorry if this was already answered somwhere in the 89 pages of this sweet post!
Im gonna quote this since I am in a similar situation. From what I read it seems like a 97+ xj 231 is a good direct swap for the 5.9?

Unread 11-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #1354
Wulff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachjf View Post
Actually it wont be as bad as all that. I can use a caliper to get the exact inside measurements of the speedo hole on my current tailshaft housing and just have my machine shop bore it out on their CNC machine. There is a small hole drilled inside the case that the very end of the speedo gear fits into that lines the speedo gear up with the mainshaft as well as supports the end of it, you can see how it works in this pic. Red arrow is the end support for the speedo gear, yellow arrow is how it all lines up with the teeth on the mainshaft.

Even if everything conspires against me and I cant make it work I'll just pick up a Tom Woods SYE kit for a 242 with the speedo sensor and swap that in. I can pick up low mileage WJ 242's all day long so even with the cost of the SYE kit I'm still getting a newer, lower mileage case that'll fit my Jeep and not get wallet raped in the process.
From your explanation I think it could be done. I only doubted because as an Engineer and Journeyman toolmaker and being the only person that built the 'turning vanes' for all the Space Shuttles I suffer from Egocentrism with narcissistic tendencies!!
Good luck!
Wulff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #1355
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulff View Post
From your explanation I think it could be done. I only doubted because as an Engineer and Journeyman toolmaker and being the only person that built the 'turning vanes' for all the Space Shuttles I suffer from Egocentrism with narcissistic tendencies!!
Good luck!
Thanks! I'm hoping its no where near as precise as a "turning vane", yes, I had to look up what a "turning vane" even was!

I heard back from one of the part suppliers I emailed monday and got confirmation that yes, some of the WJ and also KJ 242's do in fact have the teeth for the speedo drive gear but was told there's no way to tell which cases had them without opening it up. I'm making the unconfirmed assumption that NV was using up leftover stock after the switch from speedo gear drive to wheel sensor input, hence the reason for the unmachined hole in early cases and a completely different tailshaft housing on others. I'm picking up my 242 on sunday so I should know late sunday or early monday what I'm working with.

One other little bit of info I came across while doing my homework was apparently the 242HD that came behind the 2000-2003 4.7 v8 models with the long input mainshaft will bolt up to the 6cyl WJ tranny by simply swapping the mainshaft from the 242 into the 242HD and using the 32 spline rear driveshaft for the V8. Could make for a cheap HD xfer case swap into a ZJ or XJ.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...242hd-1417257/
Unread 11-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #1356
JohnFM3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
could probably swap on an earlier housing
This would be your best option. Shoot, I have a spare if you want it. Pay for shipping from Seattle Wa.
XJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634588 YJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3322306
JohnFM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #1357
zarnold
1998 ZJ 

Just took a test drive after swapping in a 242 for a 249. Things went well, but I had minor shifting issues. Don't know it that is just getting use to it, or I have minor problems. The 242 came from the JY, so I have no clue really (things looked normal when I had it taken apart).
zarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #1358
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarnold
Just took a test drive after swapping in a 242 for a 249. Things went well, but I had minor shifting issues. Don't know it that is just getting use to it, or I have minor problems. The 242 came from the JY, so I have no clue really (things looked normal when I had it taken apart).
Did you use your 249 linkage or the JY 242 linkage?
Unread 11-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #1359
zarnold
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachjf View Post
Did you use your 249 linkage or the JY 242 linkage?
So at first I used the 249 linkage and figured that was my problem. So back to the JY and pulled the linkage off of a donor with 242. However, it looks to be the same as what I currently have. So I only switched the bar that is adjustable, my adjustable bar was rusted in place. That has seemed to solve the problem, I'm able to shift in to all five gears.
zarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2012, 03:30 AM   #1360
xxxxxxxxranger_1999
1998 ZJ 

Im a bit confused on the SYE for a NP242..

1.) Im at 5.5" lift on my jeep, are you saying anything over 4.5" NEEDS a SYE or is recomended?
2.) and what exactly does it do?
3.) Wouldnt getting a longer driveshaft make a difference?
xxxxxxxxranger_1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #1361
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_1999 View Post
Im a bit confused on the SYE for a NP242..

1.) Im at 5.5" lift on my jeep, are you saying anything over 4.5" NEEDS a SYE or is recomended?
2.) and what exactly does it do?
3.) Wouldnt getting a longer driveshaft make a difference?
It all depends on whether your getting driveline vibes. If your not then I wouldnt bother, if you are, a SYE can eliminate them in most cases, another option is adjustable control arms to tilt the rear diff yoke up twards the xfer case
Unread 11-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #1362
xxxxxxxxranger_1999
1998 ZJ 

Oh well im covered i guess..i have adj arms in rear and the pinion is tilted forwards..and no vibes...
Well thats good.
Thank you
Unread 11-23-2012, 06:46 AM   #1363
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

A ZJ doesn't NEED a SYE at 4.5" if the driveline angles are correct. It's only a recommendation. Talk to anyone who has ever had a REAL SYE (not a H&T) and they'll tell you how much nicer it is than dealing with a slip yoke and possible vibes.
Unread 11-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #1364
xxxxxxxxranger_1999
1998 ZJ 

Another question..
I dont know if i need a new driveshaft front and rear or not?
Im at 5.5" on stock and no vibes..but my rear pinion seal is leaking and i think it's possible the driveshaft may be pulling on the yoke.
Does this seem legit?
Mind you the axles were regeared and new seals last fall.
Unread 11-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #1365
Mierdota
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So i have a 98 zj with the 5.2 and the factory auto tranny I would like to do a 231 swap what years and models would be best to look for? I'll be going toa junk yard to pull one myself. Sorry I'm kinda lost on this part there was a lot of info.
Mierdota is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.